Thread: miles master W 8698

Thanks

Default miles master W 8698

Miles Master W8698 Of 53 Otu , Crashed At Then Droves Road ,grangemouth Cardiff ,on 18th Jan 1942 , Please Can Anyone Confirm If A Flying Officer Parr Was On Board , Any Info Would Much Appreiciated Thank You
    Phill Jones

Thanks

Hello,

The entry in No. 53 OTU ORB (AIR 29/681) is very short :

"18/1/42 F/O PARR crashed involved in flying accident. Admitted to St Athan hospital".

'crashed' has been crossed over when the ORB was typed. It's the only entry for that day.

HTH

Joss

Thanks

Hello Phill, Air Britain serial log has 'crashed in forced landing in bad weather, The Droves Road, Grangetown, Cardiff. This does not appear on any current street maps. I live in Grangetown so would be interested to know more!

Thanks

Default master grangetown

Quote Originally Posted by ian_ View Post
    Hello Phill, Air Britain serial log has 'crashed in forced landing in bad weather, The Droves Road, Grangetown, Cardiff. This does not appear on any current street maps. I live in Grangetown so would be interested to know more!
    Ian , i failed to locate droves road also , perhaps a local is around who may remember , if such a street exisited ? the pilot survived the crash and was later killed in may 42 ,
    my interest is in no 53OTU , if you uncover anymore details i would love to hear from you
    thanks phill

Thanks

I have been puzzled by this too! I worked in Ferry Road, Grangetown for twenty years and know the area well.

I have seen the location written as "The Drovers' road", can you make anything of that?

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Bromsgrove St?

http://www.grangetownmap.com/

I've searched phone books on ancestry.com and does not look like anyone ever had a phoen on a 'Groves Rd', midn you there were only a few on Bromsgrove for that matter.

oH never mind, I'm not even reading the words written above!! Droves.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 3rd August 2010 at 14:19.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Also very interested in 53 OTU Phill and have located the crash sites of a couple, P7504, X4773 and X4722 amongst others. There are still several to find. Newspaper reports may be the next step, accidents in built up areas were occasionally reported. Have checked maps as well Dennis, there is 'the Drope road' but it's quite a way north of Grangetown.
    Last edited by ian_; 4th August 2010 at 17:20.