Thread: List of Air Publications

Thanks

Default List of Air Publications

Hi,

does anybody know where I can find a list of all Air Publications issued by Air Ministry in Second World War?

Thanks.

Best

Marcel

Thanks

Default Re: List of Air Publications

Marcel,
    Fight your way through AIR 10 (https://discovery.nationalarchives.g..._sd=&_ed=&_hb=).
    It may, or may not, contain the list you are looking for! Best I can do!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,
    thanks for your hint.
    Best
    Marcel

Thanks

That would be a very long list and difficult to define as I suspect many Air Publications were dated prior to WW2 for a few years with only amendments carrying wartime dates. Conversely many wartime ones would have carried into the post war era and may carry post war dates. I know there is an Air Publication that lists Armament Training Air Publications (AIR 10/6084) but have never looked at it.

Using TNA - Air 10, as suggested, is a good start but you will have you open each reference to reveal the relevant AP number. I suspect saving the search results as a CSV may enable access to TNA reference and AP Number but it would require a bit of clever formula work in your favourite spreadsheet programme to extract the relevant bits in a decent format. You would also need to do it in sections as the download is limited to a certain number of results. Also I'm not sure if the previous reference is included in this level anymore but it was at some point as I did something similar back in 2008.

Thanks

And don't forget AP 1414!
    This was The Letter Of The Law when it came to Air Min civilians claiming expenses on Detached Duty, etc, etc.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Saving as a CSV (for spreadsheets) does give all the required information.

I just did a quick download of AIR 10 from TNA and after trimming out some ones that were not labelled as Air Publications (e.g. SD and CD) I get over 8,500 document dating from 1917 to 1970s. As I said I can't be sure which ones were still valid during WW2. It should also be borne in mind that those APs that were preserved invariably had many original pages replaced with amended ones at a later date. IFor example I have an AP which is dated 1956 but the most recent pages dated from 1972.

I believe there is was also a requirement to destroy certain documents when they were replaced and I think there is a paragraph in Kings Regulations regarding this.