Thread: DFM Citation sought

Thanks

Default DFM Citation sought

Hi,

I have managed to track down, on behalf of my partner's now ageing aunt, some details of the said aunt's cousin - he was Warrant Officer Albert Stanley Palmer (643812) DFM, who was killed on 20 Apr 44 while he was serving on 635 Sqn, when he was the Flight Engineer in the crew of Lancaster ND826, which took off to bomb rail installations tasked to Ottignies, but crashed at Dion-le-Mont (Brabant), 4 km ESE of Wavre, Belgium; Warrant Officer Palmer and the crew are buried in Heverlee War Cemetery nearby.

He had been transferred (along with a whole flight) from 97 Sqn the month before when 635 Sqn was formed, having served on 97 Sqn for a couple of years in 1942/3, and having served on 419 Sqn before that in 1941.

I have found some information from sources such as the "fire by night" and "Lost Bombers" websites, and I have been attempting to use the National Archives website (with little success) to see if I can find out more about his DFM, as the aunt has a copy of the letter from Buckingham Palace inviting Palmer's wife to attend to receive his award posthumously.

I would be very grateful if there is anything that anyone can point me in a direction or help me any further, in particular concerning the circumstances of the crash and his DFM citation; regarding the latter, according to the "Lost Bombers" entry for ND826, his award was gazetted on 11 Feb 44, so it was presumably awarded for his service while on 97 Sqn.

Many thanks,

Mark Williams

Thanks

Hi Mark

The award was Gazetted on 11 February 1944 , page 740 and was made to the then
    Flt Sgt Palmer and as you thought for his service with 97 Squadron . It is recorded as a General Citation which is often published as "gallantry and devotion to duty in the execution of air operations" or variations such as "distinguished/conspicuous/gallant service" so probably one name amongst many in a published column ?
    A copy of his citation should be in The National Archives in , I believe , AIR1/1030-1033 , and possibly even a note of it in the 97 Squadron ORB ?

Thanks

David,

Thank you - I was part way through wandering through the Gazette search engine when I saw your response which brought me to the answer before i could find it - it's nice to see it in print!

The jog about ORBs sent me back to the very informative Fire By Night website, which has the 97 Sqn ORBs uploaded for November 1943 to March 1944 (although i am not sure if they are extracts or the complete oRB record) at http://www.firebynight.co.uk/intro%20Battle%20of%20Berlin%20.html Fascinating reading, but an initial trawl does not bring up his name.

National archives next....

Mark

Thanks

But before entering the denizens of the National Archives, I have found that the 97 Sqn ORB records appear to be uploaded in full on the 97 Sqn Association website - his name with details of all the individual ops that he flew on with the Sqn from 1942-4 are all there, and what a treasure trove of information!

Mark

Thanks

From Kew, Air 2/8983, recommendation drafted 25 November 1943 when he had flown 41 sorties (239 hours 50 minutes) as Flight Engineer.

"This N.C.O. has completed 41 operational sorties, 29 with the Pathfinder Force, 28 of which were as marker. He has taken part in all the present operations against important German targets including six on Berlin, six on Hamburg, three on Hanover and Stuttgart, Munich and Peenemunde to mention only a few. On two occasions he was a crew member of an aircraft when it was attacked by enemy fighters and on one of these occasions the enemy aircraft was destroyed. Flight Sergeant Palmer is an efficient Flight Engineer whose excellent record in the squadron is an example to its more junior members."

Ian Tavender, "The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War".

Thanks

Hugh,

Many, many thanks for the referenc eand the citiation - along with what else I have found so far and the detailed entries from the 97 Sqn ORB from 1943-44 which led to that citation and award, it really does paint a very colourful picture of the man and what he did during his serivce, leading up to his death on 20 April 1944.

I'll keep looking for 635 Sqn's ORB records for March and April 1944, and for any further detail on the circumstances of the crash, but in the meantime if anyone has any anything further....

Regarding the aircraft, as well as the details at the start of the thread, ND826 was a new aircraft, delivered to 635 Sqn via 32 MU at St. Athan in April 1944, and it carried the 635 Sqn code F2-L. The sortie on 20 April 1944 was tasked as a Night raid, which took off from Downham Market at 2128 hours and the aircraft appears to have been listed simply as "Failed to Return".

Mark

Thanks

Not that it helps your research but as a matter of interest, my father Walter Layne was with B Flight 97 Squadron at the same time as Albert Stanley Palmer.

They flew in different 97 Squadron crews on operations to, Kiel, Duisburg, La Spezia, Cologne and Cologne a second time, Turin, Hamburg, Essen, Milan, Peenemunde, Berlin and Nuremberg.

Thanks

Default My uncle Albert Stanley palmer

Hi there Albert Stanley Tich Palmer 643812 was my uncle and is my dads older brother my dad is still alive and has lots of information we have collected over the years we also were wondering what happened to his medal we have been to visit the cemetery in hevelee in Belgium I too have been trying to find out more information on him and as much as a I can for my dad too it is very hard though... Please feel free to contact me if you have more info or maybe we could trade some information too
    many thanks
    Jason palmer
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmark View Post
    Hi,

I have managed to track down, on behalf of my partner's now ageing aunt, some details of the said aunt's cousin - he was Warrant Officer Albert Stanley Palmer (643812) DFM, who was killed on 20 Apr 44 while he was serving on 635 Sqn, when he was the Flight Engineer in the crew of Lancaster ND826, which took off to bomb rail installations tasked to Ottignies, but crashed at Dion-le-Mont (Brabant), 4 km ESE of Wavre, Belgium; Warrant Officer Palmer and the crew are buried in Heverlee War Cemetery nearby.

He had been transferred (along with a whole flight) from 97 Sqn the month before when 635 Sqn was formed, having served on 97 Sqn for a couple of years in 1942/3, and having served on 419 Sqn before that in 1941.

I have found some information from sources such as the "fire by night" and "Lost Bombers" websites, and I have been attempting to use the National Archives website (with little success) to see if I can find out more about his DFM, as the aunt has a copy of the letter from Buckingham Palace inviting Palmer's wife to attend to receive his award posthumously.

I would be very grateful if there is anything that anyone can point me in a direction or help me any further, in particular concerning the circumstances of the crash and his DFM citation; regarding the latter, according to the "Lost Bombers" entry for ND826, his award was gazetted on 11 Feb 44, so it was presumably awarded for his service while on 97 Sqn.

Many thanks,

Mark Williams

Thanks

Hi Jason,

Apologies for the long delay - I've only just seen your post from 2015 on the forum about your relative Albert Stanley Palmer, following my research in 2010. I compiled a 50-odd page document about his service in the end - have tried PMing you but your settings won't accept PMs - happy to contact and share information,

Mark Williams