Thread: 36 Squadron, 1942

Thanks

Default 36 Squadron, 1942

Does anyone here have the ORB for 36 Squadron, January to March 1942? I'm not sure that it survived the Far Eastern Debacle, but if it did, and someone has it, i'd be very grateful if you could check the following men to see if they are listed in it: -

F/O B.B. Callick, kia 8-3-42
    W/O G.B.W. Peck, kia 8-3-42
    Sgt Melville (sorry, no initials)

The first two named are shown on CWGC as serving with 36 Sqn at the time of their death, which occcured when their Vildebeest crashed off the coast of Java in the early morning of the 8th March 1942. Both are commemorated on the Singapore Memorial, along with their skipper that morning, F/O Reginald Lamb. Lamb was definately on the strength of 100 at the time, as i suspect were Peck, Callick, and Melville. However, the 100 Sqn ORB doesn't exist beyond the end of 1941, so i have no provenance for them being with 100 other than for a private manuscript i have in my possesion. Whilst i can't prove they were with 100 if they *aren't* in the 36 Sqn ORB, i can prove that they weren't if they are named in the 36 Sqn records, if that makes any sense!!

Thanks for anything anyone can offer.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Hi Greg
    " Bloody Shambles" vol2 again has,in the index,Reg Lamb as 100 Sqn but the others as 36 Sqn flying Vildebeeste K6405,and ditching about 6 mls offshore. Sgt S P Melville was the only survivor when their dinghy deflated and they attempted to swim ashore.He became POW. They were in company with another Vildebeeste K6393 flown by F/Lt R J Allanson (36 Sqn) with F/O B A Gotto(indexed as 100/36 Sqn),F/O G G Tayler(100Sqn) and P/O T R Lamb(100/36 Sqn). They all got ashore and became POW. Presumably the Authors had a source they felt they could rely on but the double Sqn Nos suggest they might not have felt 100% confident
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 19th November 2007 at 21:11.

Thanks

Default Melville.

Hallo Greg,

Looking at UNSUNG HEROES OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE, The Far East Prisoners of War by Les and Pam Stubbs I find two Melvilles.

Stewart Paterson Melville (612016), 100 Squadron, held prisoner in Sumatra (Palembang).
    David Ferguson Melville (630661), unit not known, held prisoner in Java, Singapore and Hokkaido (Hakadate).

There is a reference to the former in the text on page 22. It states that on 8 March 1942 five men from 36 and 100 Squadrons (RJ Allanson, BA Gotto, TR Lamb, SP Melville and GG Tayler) were taken to Palembang after their attempt to fly from Java and evade capture had failed.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Hi Dick,

Many thanks again for your second speedy reply to one of my posts this evening :)

I have a private manuscript from Basil Gotto (100 Squadron at Seletar) that makes mention of the 2 aircraft / flights you mention above. I can advise that at the time Gotto, Tayler, and Lamb were all definately 100 Squadron and not 36 Squadron.

As for the others (aside from Lamb), in K6405, i can find no mention of them at all in the 100 Squadron ORB up to the end of December 1941 (when the 100 Sqn ORB finishes - no 1942 entries appear to have survived) which makes me think that maybe they were, after all, 36 Sqn men.

At 06.15, shortly before they ditched at 0630 approx and whilst flying at about 5,000 feet, Allanson and his crew saw a flash on the water behind them. They turned back and circled the area where they had seen the flash for about 10 minutes but could not see anything on or in the water. They concluded that the flash probably had nothing to do with Reg Lamb, and they ditched themselves shortly afterwards, short of fuel.

From "Unsung Heroes of the RAF - The Far East Prisoners of War" i note that Melville was held PoW Sumatra (Palembang).

Thanks again for your help Dick :)

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Hi MArtin - you beat me to it with the gen from "Unsung Heroes of the RAF...."!! Many thanks for your valuable input, i owe you a pint also :)

L/O

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Have just come across this thread and am hoping that someone may be able to help.

I am trying to trace a pilot, F/S Allison, no other details I'm afraid, who was on the Radio Calibration Flight attached to 36 Sqn at Seletar from mid-October 1941 to the end of January 1942.

The Flight operated 2 Vildebeest aircraft, K6391 & K6393. I note the fate of K6393 given above. Would anyone know of the fate of the other aircraft, K6391? I know that it was flown out of Singapore to Batavia, via Palembang, on 31 January 1942, but don't know what happened to it subsequently.

Grateful for any assitance on this one.

MTIA.

Laurie.

Thanks

Laurie,

A long time after your post i know, but hopefully you'll see this and it'll answer your question.

K6391 was delivered to 3 ASU on 31-7-36, thence to the PD (Packing Department) for Far East transfer on 7-2-38. Arrived Far East 24-2-38 and put into stored reserve, thence went to 100 Squadron, and presumed lost in Java 2-42.

From Air Britain's "The K File"

All the best,

Greg

Greg Harrison

Thanks

Greg, many thanks for the reply. I'll pass the info along to the chap that was enquiring.

Thanks

No probs, my pleasure

Greg Harrison