Thread: AUS406034 - F/Lt R.G. Fox

Thanks

Default AUS406034 - F/Lt R.G. Fox

Looking for confirmation whether F/Lt Robert G. FOX - RAAF 406034, buried Alexandria (Hadra) War Cem. Cem., Egypt, was killed 5-1-1943 on Wellington XIII MP740 of 203 Sqn; crashed at LG.91 (near Amriya).
    Regards and thanks,
    Henk.

Thanks

Correction: date of death should be 5th November 1943.

Thanks

Hi Henk

According to Alan Storr, he dived into the ground shortly after taking off on his first solo on this type of aircraft.

Malcolm

Thanks

Henk,

Here is what Alan Storr has to say on FOX:

Summary:

Wellington MP740 flown solo by Flt Lt Fox on 5th November 1943, on a non-operational day training flight crashed at Landing Ground 95* in the Middle East and Flt Lt Fox was killed.

On the previous day, Flt Lt Fox had been given instruction on the aircraft which to him was a new type. The take-off of MP740 on 5th November was good, but a few minutes later with the wheels retracted, the aircraft dived into the ground from a height of about 500 feet.

Crew:
    RAAF 406034 Flt Lt Fox, R G (Pilot)

In a report on the accident the Station Commander stated "I was the first person at the scene of the accident. From the marks left by the aircraft it appeared that it had either dived or stalled without dropping a wing and caught fire on impact. I spoke to the pilot who had previously given Flt Lt Fox dual instruction on the aircraft. He had instructed Fox to raise the flaps with the aircraft in a nose-up attitude. I consider the most likely cause of the accident to be the premature raising of the flaps in a nose-up position by a pilot inexperienced on Wellington aircraft."

Storr: Vol.7. 201 to 300 Sqns. p.13 of 308.

* Whilst it would have been geographically possible for Fox to have crashed at LG 95 (Ikingi), I consider it highly unlikely. 203 Sqn had just moved to LG 91 the previous day (4-11-1943), and considering he crashed a few minutes after take-off, it would appear as if he had taken off from LG 91. There is possibility of a typo by Storr, or the original 765(C), on which the above report is probably based, is in error. We need to see Storr's (undigitised) A705 to be sure. My bet is, Storr is in error.

Col.

Thanks

Thanks Col & Malcolm.
    Col: do you mean that LG91 (near Amriya) rather than LG95 (Ikingi) may have been the correct location ?

Henk.

Thanks

Henk,

I believe Fox crashed at LG 91, despite what Storr has to say.

Col.

Thanks

Thanks Col, will add this to my files.

Henk.