Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9-9-1943 4 (O)AFU Anson I MG355

Thanks

Dennis, Ross.
    I've ELKINGTON on Anson EF978 of 9 (O)AFU. Could this be correct ?
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

I've added the ORB entries for EF978 to that thread.

Here are the various entries I've got for LV152

No.3 AGS:

September 9th 1943, “Anson L.V.152 (Pilot P/O H. Stevens (139415)) crashed in sea off Trevor Point. Aircraft Cat “E”. Pilot and two crew killed.”

No.9 (O)AFU:

September 9th 1943, Llandwrog SSQ, “17.15 Hours was notified by Flying Control that aircraft had crashed into the sea off Trevor Point about 10 miles due SW from the Station, and that three survivors could be seen sitting on the wreckage. ASR Launch from Fort Belan was notified and left immediately. The aircraft had crashed at 16.55 hours MR Unit and MO left immediately and reached the village of Trevor at 17.30 hours and found that crash was 100 yards offshore 1 mile back. Proceeded to this point and picked up three survivors suffering from shock and abrasions who had been brought ashore by local inhabitants. RT contact was established with the launch and Flying Control (the latter was kept informed of the progress of the rescue operations). On being informed that there were three of the crew still trapped in the fuselage, the MO proceeded out to the wreck, and two bodies were brought up and taken back to the launch. An RT message to Humber for Oxygen was promptly answered by the appearance of the oxygen cylinder and apparatus on the beach. Artificial respiration was continued for on hour, but no sign of life returned. It was found impossible to locate the third trapped man. The MO then directed by RT the MR Unit to return to SSQ with survivors, and report at Fort Belan dock. Flying Control were notified by RT of the need for a crash party at 23.30 hours (low tide). The MO returned to SSQ in ASR launch via Fort Belan. The third body was released at 00.30 hours. Perfect cooperation was achieved with the ASRs in this combined work. Two more might have been saved had a faster launch been available, and had there been less time lag in notification of the crash.”

September 10th 1943, Llandwrog, “Anson aircraft No.LV152 (RAF Mona), crashed 1 ˝ miles North East of Trevor, North Wales at 15:30 hours. The aircraft was a total loss. 139415 Pilot Officer Harold, STEVENS, pilot, and Air Cadet Ronald Albert, CASHEN no No.1340 (ATC) Squadron, were killed. All other members of the crew were slightly injured.”

RAF Valley:

September 9th 1943, “Sgt Walter of No.275 Air/Sea Rescue Squadron in an Anson investigated a report of an aircraft which had crashed off Trevor Pier. Lt Plant, FAA, attached to No.275 Air/Sea Rescue Squadron was also scrambled, but found the water too shallow to land his Walrus. The crew were rescued by launch.”

Eddie Doylerush named the following in No Landing Place & Fallen Eagles:

Pilot: Stevens
    AG (Inst): Sgt Ivor Ormondroyd
    AG (u/t): Sgt T.H. Jeffs
    AG (u/t): Sgt Eastman
    ATC Cadet: Cashen
    + 1 un-named AG (u/t) (assumed to be White)
    Last edited by alclark; 9th April 2012 at 14:22.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hello

F/Sgt Rex Tidwell Lathlean (R.A.A.F. 418755)'s casualty file (A705) is digitized in the National Archives of Australia website, and it gives some détails about the loss of MZ298 from Selth's own words after he was rescued by a destroyer.
    Norman Brand's service file (A9301) is also digitised, Col 's source for the beginning of this thread. I find it interesting to read that he was born in Warsaw, Poland, in 1919. Does anybody know when he was naturalised "British Citizen". I would have thought the naturalisation papers would be in his file when he joined the R.A.A.F.. Unless I didn't read the file properly.

Joss

Thanks

Joss,

There was no need for the RAAF to retain documentation such as naturalization papers. The requirement was; a request on applying for membership of the RAAF to state whether you were a Natural Born British subject (NBBS), or otherwise. If you were a Naturalized British Subject (NBS), you were required to provide proof that this was the case. This proof had to be provided on enrollment, along with a statutory declaration stating place and date of birth. The production of this information was noted on the applicant's personal file, plus the fact that it had been sighted. Generally, only a copy of the Stat Dec was retained (for obvious legal reasons).

I have no idea where, or when, Norman Brand was naturalized. I can tell you that Brand was a member of the 3rd St.Kilda Scout Group (which was predominantly made up of Jewish boys). He is mentioned on their 1939-1945 Roll of Honour board. He was educated locally (Elwood and Melbourne City) c. 1926-28.

being Jewish, Brand's RAAF service/death, has been recorded by the Victorian Association of Jewish Servicemen & Women, Australia. You will find his entry here:

https://vajexaustralia.org.au/a-z-se...ch-full-result

Not very informative (there is a photo of Norman in civvies). You can send an email requesting further information (scroll down for contact details). Also mention Norman's father, Solomon Brand.

Col.

Thanks

Hello Col,

Thanks for your detailed explanations.

I had recently seen naturalization papers for the father of a R.C.A.F. airman in his service file, his father was born in Hungary and naturalized in 1906, and the man was born in Canada, while in the case of Norman Brand, he was born in Poland.

Regards

Joss