Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accident on 5th June 1945

Thanks

Default Accident on 5th June 1945

Am trying to find out what I can about Peter TOTTLE, killed when his aircraft crashed in France just after the war 5th June 1945.

Apart from what is on cwg and his date of birth which was 5th April 1924 I have no information.

Anything about him or the circumstances of the accident would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks

Default Tottle

Hi Hugh,

05 JUNE 1945.

LANCASTER 1 PP693 149 SQ. CRASHED Near ARRAS.

`At 2000ft the aircraft suddenly went into a steep dive but pilot was able to flatten this out before the starboard outer wing and engine fractured and broke away from the aircraft, which then crashed into the ground,burst into flames and was destroyed. The accident is thought to have been caused by a failure of the auto pilot. There was one survivor from the 11 on board`. (Sorry don`t have survivors name).

CREW:

F/O PETER TOTTLE. PILOT. Aged 21.
    F/SGT PAUL COCHRANE WYATT. NAV.
    SGT ROBERT EDWARD TILLEY. FLT/ENG.
    F/SGT JACK DYER. W/OP. Aged 27.
    F/SGT KENNETH HIRD. A/G. Aged 21.
    F/SGT LEONARD JONES. A/G.
    F/SGT ERIC PAIGE. B/A. Aged 21.
    AC2 WILLIAM QUINN. Aged 24.
    LAC WILLIAM CHRISTIE SPARK. Aged 34.
    LAC WILFRED HERBERT WARDLE. Aged 22.

Source: `THE PRICE OF PEACE` by Colin Cummings.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Dave

Thanks

The casualty list for the crew printed in FLight magazine dated January 17th 1946 reads:
    KILLED ON ACTIVE SERVICE.A/C.2 F. D. Beverley; Cpl. N. C. Brimmicombe; Sgt. W. F. Colborne;
    Sgt. W. Dennis; Sgt. R. C. Develin; Fit. Sgt. J. Dyer; Fit. Lt. A. A. McK. Fraser; F/O. D. W. H. Furberj Fit. Sgt. K. Hird; Sgt. F. Jackson; Sgt. J. A. Jones; Fit. Sgt. L. Jones; Sgt. I. A. N. MacDonald; Fit. Set. E. Paige; L.A/C. W. Qninn; Fit. Sgt. 3. Ross; F/O. T. G. R. Rowe; L.A/C. W. C. Spark; Sgt. J. Tait; Sgt. R. E. Tilley; Act. FIO. P. Tottle; Fit. Sgt. V. W. F. Townsend; L.A/C. W. H. Wardle; Fit. Sgt. P. C. Wyatt.

The survivor MIGHT be among these names?
    WOUNDED OR INJURED ON ACTIVE SERVICE.
    Sgt. R. L. Arthur; P/O. L. A. Carroll; Sgt. A. De Teissier-Prevost; Sgt. F. H. Ennis; Sgt. H. Freeman; Fit. Sgt. B. P. Nettleton; F/O. H. Rhodes; W/O. A. C. Shankland; Sgt. A. F. Smith.

Assuming the crew were all british and not RAAF. RCAF or RNZAF etc.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

I'm interested in this crash too, for the crew is buried in Lille Southern cemetery (can provide pictures of the graves if needed), and the crash occured at 17:20 in Noyelles sous Bellonne, near Arras, following a wing structural failure.

Bill Chorley wrote in his Bomber Command Losses that Avro Lancaster Mk I PP673 coded OJ-B had taken off at 16:52 hrs from Juvincourt (Aisne) bound for U.K. with ex prisoners-of-war. He also mentions unconfirmed reports about an unidentified airmen who survived.

Colin Cummings' book was published after the Chorley volume I think, so he may have more accurate information.

Perhaps the passengers were not ex-PoWs, but doing some "sight-seeing tours", as it was common at that time ?

There's an accident report in AVIA 5 series at Kew, which I've planned to check when time will permit.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?fldResultMarker=21&fldSearchNumb er=1242&SearchInit=1
    AVIA 5/25 Type: Lancaster 1 (PP-673); Location: Nr Vitery-en-Artois France; Report No.: W2214 1945 June

Correct spelling for Vitery is Vitry-en-Artois.
    Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 6th August 2010 at 11:07. Reason: adding link to TNA catalogue

Thanks

Hello,

There's no further information about this loss in "Strong by night", the History of No. 149 Squadron, by John Johnston and Nick Carter, published by Air-Britain. They confirm a prisoner of war repatriation flight. No survivor mentioned.
    PP673 was taken on strength on 23rd March 1945, from 5 Maintenance Unit.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks to all for the information and suggestions. If there were ex-POWs or sightseers on board would they be amongst Dave's list?

Hugh

Thanks

Hello,

The ex-Pows ought to be AC2 William QUINN, LAC William Christie SPARK and LAC Wilfred Herbert WARDLE. The other seven airmen have all a trade against their names, in the CWGC registers, and as such, they make a standard crew for a four-engined bomber.

I think the AVIA5/25 file might provide answers about your query. There may also be an accident card (form 1180) at the R.A.F. museum Hendon, department of research. But the accident card would concentrate on the accident, not on the crew/passengers list.

Are you related to Peter Tottle ?

Joss

Thanks

Quinn, Spark, and Wardle do not appear in Ross' RAF PoW lists.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks both.

No Joss, not related to Peter Tottle. He's one of many Old Boys of the school where I teach to die during WW2 and I'm putting together a commemorative booklet. Hence the wish for as much detail as possible.
    Hugh

Thanks

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Quinn, Spark, and Wardle do not appear in Ross' RAF PoW lists.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    That's why I'm inclined to think that this was not a PoW repatriation flight (as stated in the three mentioned books), but more a training flight with some sightseeing for three groundcrews. CWGC registers give the unit of these three airmen as No. 149 Squadron.

And for a repatriation flight, the Lancaster would have carried more passengers, and probably not a full crew.

Joss