Thread: sgt Ivan jackson 35 squadron

Thanks

Default sgt Ivan jackson 35 squadron

Hi I am looking for any information on Sgt Jackson. He was a rear gunner in a 4 engined bomber ? a Halifax when he baled out over Keil on 7-8 September 1941. He apparently died in the process.
    The plane was not lost as it doesn't appear in Chorley or other websites mentioned on this forum.
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what happened in this incident
    many thanks,
    Nick

Thanks

Hello,

I think two Jacksons, both 35 Squadron, lost within a couple of days of each other may have been mixed.

The first one is the subject of a single entry in "We act with one accord" by Alan Cooper (History of No. 35 Squadron) : "7/9 (sic) September [1941] Sgt E.H. Jackson POW".

"Footprints in the Sands of Time" by Oliver Clutton-Brock, his entry is as follow :
    Jackson EH Sgt 35 Sqn, Halifax L9566, 10 September 1941, raid on Turin, Camp 8B/L6/357, PoW number 9594, [8B/L6 ?]

The following crew in "We act with one accord" was lost during the night 10/11 September 1941, Sgt I. Jackson was the second pilot, in F/O G.S. Williams crew. He was the only man killed in action, all the other were captured. The crew listed is Williams, Osborne, Hedley, Sgt I. Jackson, Ryder, Urquhart, Murrell, crash-landed Yvetot-Bocage, near Valognes. That's in the Cherbourg peninsula.

In Chorley, page 143, the crew is listed as Williams, Osborne, Murrell, Hedley, Ryder, Sgt E.H. Jackson, Urquhart, in L9566 TL-R. "It is believed the crew mistook the Cherbourg peninsula for the English coast and turned towards France, instead of maintaining a northerly track". "Footprints..." has them in L9566.

Name: JACKSON, IVAN
    Initials: I
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: 35 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 08/09/1941
    Service No: 1019202
    Additional information: Son of Joseph and Annie Jackson, of Slaggyford, Northumberland.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Coll. grave 2. C. 15-18.
    Cemetery: KIEL WAR CEMETERY

I'm puzzled by the fact he's buried in a collective grave.

It's possible Alan Cooper has mixed both Jacksons, but Sgt Ivan Jackson is not recorded either in the Roll of Honour (volume 9) of the Bomber Command Losses (he should be on page 62)...

Joss

Thanks

thanks Joss,
    The individual i am interested in is Ivan who died on the 7-8 september. I do have a photograph of his grave were he appears as simply an allied airman mixed in with another named crew.
    The whole issue is rather intriguing both as the cause for him to bale out and die but also why he is buried with another crew.
    any help or information would be great
    Last edited by berkshireboy; 6th August 2010 at 21:58.

Thanks

There was a post asking a similar question about this airman by Henk Welting on 4th May 2001. I have tried searching for it as I know I posted a reply (way back in the days of the old board). Stupidly at the time I printed Henks question but did not print my response!

Thankfully, I can refer to the 35 Squadron ORB's for that period again and give a reply of a similar nature to the one I posted back in 2001 thus:

Sgt Ivan Jackson (1019202) was Tail Gunner in Halifax L9504 TL-H flown by Sgt Norman. They were on an operation to attack Berlin but on reaching the enemy coast the Captain found time insufficient to reach primary target on schedule. Proceeded to Kiel but when within four to three miles the aircraft for some unknown reason went into a spin and out of control. The Captain then gave order to 'standby to bale-out', jettisoned bombs and succeeded in righting the aircraft. Tail Gunner, Sgt Ivan Jackson, was found to have baled-out apparently he only heard 'bale-out' as the Flight Engineer also did although he could not do so before all was well again. The aircraft returned to base safely.

Hope that helps and if anyone is able to dig up the original thread from the old board in 2001 that would be great.

Regards
    Linzee