Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with local raf men of radnorshire

Thanks

Default help with local raf men of radnorshire

Hi Please can anyone help me further with some local raf men from the wartime county of Radnorshire.
    1/ 1375027 W/O.Peter Ablitt RAF pilot serving with 17 sqd , died when his Hurricane crashed coming into land (India), buried at colombo Liveramentu cemetery.

2/ 108606 F/Lt.BERT GRIMSHAW, PILOT, RAF.DFC KILLED 22/8/44 , ON EXPERIMENTAL FLIGHT ?

3/VICTOR .G HOPE DFC , SURVIVED WAR ,

ANY GEN ANYONE MAY HAVE WOULD HELP .

Thanks

Phill,
    A quick look around shows Grimshaw with 228sqdn at time of award of DFC March 44, no luck with unit at time of death yet, but death registered at Wrexham. Could also be linked with the death of F/O William Auld DFC (Nav) who died same day and also registered at Wrexham, ex 51sqdn.
    Victor Griffiths Hope DFC was with 158sqdn at time of his award of DFC, December 43. A couple of files on way via email.
    Regards.......Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 6th August 2010 at 13:17.

Thanks

ALAN , MY THANKS AGAIN , F/L GRIMSHAW married a local lady , i made contact with his son , but he was reluctant to talk about the loss of his father , he did tell me that he thought that his dad was on some sort of experimental flt , and that another man was killed during the flt , please may i ask how one finds out about where deaths are registered ? many thanks phill

Thanks

Phill,
    I use findmypast.co.uk which has several ways of subscribing to search. Knowing the amount of knowledge available from various members of this message board, i'd be surprised if no-one came up with info on the cause of death of Bert Grimshaw soon.
    Last edited by AlanW; 6th August 2010 at 13:57.

Thanks

Wellington XIII HZ699 of Central Navigation School flew into Tower Mountain, Trevor, Pontcysylt near Wrexham. Besides Grimshaw, also killed was Auld 1320586, as noted in last post, and RN Ericksen 620554.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Dave,
    Thanks for proving me right!!
    There you go Phill, what did i tell you.
    Alan.

Thanks

OUTSTANDING , what can i say , thanks to all who answered the call .

Thanks

To find Hope's dates of promotion as an officer, go to
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

and pop in his serial number

into the search fields, narrow the dates to 1939 to say 1948.

His name is not published with a citation for his award of DFC but Alan may have that for you.

His DFC award might be for prolonged good duty as opposed to a particular single deed.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Phil

228 Squadron was Coastal Command and Flying boats - possibly he was based at Pembroke Dock if his death was registered at Wrexham just a hunch - there is a great deal of history available via the Sunderland Restoration Group at the Dock and also at the Tower Museum (I think that is what it is called) Finding any info about 228 Sqdn is hard but persistance is the key word 0therwise I would not have found out about my relative.

Regards
    Dyan in NZ

Thanks

Dyan , many thanks for your imput , as we now know Grimshaw and his crew were killed in Wellington HZ699, nr Wrexham , but was serving with 228 sqd at the time of his award of DFC , which i will try and find out more , i lived fairly locally to THE wartime STN OF RAF Oban , so know quite a lot about the flying boatsa their SO WILL DIG OUT MY OLD FILES TO SEE if 228 were their and if his name crops up , thanks