Thread: Marseille air raid around 26.11.1940

Thanks

Default Marseille air raid around 26.11.1940

Hi all,

I have read account (recorded on 26. 11. 1940 probably on the basic of French Vichy news) that Marseille was bombed and that Vichy said it was RAF.

Anyone could confirm or disconfim this? I was checking alreay the BC War Diary and Foreman's book for the period of Novemeber but nothing there.

Also it seems to me a little bit strange - why RAF will attack this town at this stage of war? Also I see no reason for attack by Germans or Italians...

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,

ALLEGED R.A.F. BOMBING OF MARSEILLES.

The Vichy Government have protested to Great Britain against the alleged bombing of Marseilles by British aeroplanes early yesterday (says Reuter), and have demanded compensation.

An official communique states that according to reports received, four women were killed and five injured, and continues; "An examination of the unexploded bombs, and the discovery of anti-Italian pamphlets, leaves no doubt as to the nationality of the aeroplanes."

The Times. November 25, 1940. p.3.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 7th August 2010 at 11:18.

Thanks

Many thanks Colin!
    I tried the same but with no luck:( I do not know why the search returned me no results also when I used some words from your re-typed acticle.

Anyway I am very glad for your help.

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel,

In a follow-up article in The Times (Nov.27, 1940 p.3), it states that the said communique was released on Sunday, ie the 24th of November. So early yesterday probably indicates 22/23-11-1940.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 7th August 2010 at 11:50.

Thanks

Hi Col,

thanks for additional info.
    It looks more like someone missed the target on 23/24 11 when some targets were also in Italy accorduing to the description but no more details about the target in BC War Diaries...

Pavel

Thanks

Here is a French report:

Message de 2350/23/11 et de 1030/24/11 de Marine Marseille : "Le 23 novembre 1940, entre 22 heures et 22 heures 45, un ou deux avions, vraisemblablement égarés, tournèrent pendant une demi-heure au-dessus de la région marseillaise; ils lancèrent une dizaine de fusées éclairantes, quatorze bombes explosives et quelques bombes incendiaires qui tombèrent avenue de Paris et quartier Borelli; il y eut six tués et dix blessés. des tracts rédigés en italien portant l'inscription "La malédiction de Garibaldi pèse sur l'Italie" furent également lancés. La DCA ne put ouvrir le feu.

Message de 1145/24/11 de Marine Toulon : "Dans la même nuit, quatre avions survolèrent Toulon mais ne purent être pris dans les projecteurs."

English traduction (mine):

Message of 23 Nov 2350 hrs and 24 Nov 1030 hrs from Marine (French fleet) Marseille:
    "On 23 November 1940, between 22 hrs and 2245 hrs, one or two airplane, probably lost, turned during an half hour over Marseille area; they launched about ten flares, 14 explosive bombs and some incendiary ones that fell "avenue de Paris" and "quartier Borelli"; there was six killed and ten wounded. Tracts written in Italian bearing the words "Garibaldi curse is upon Italy" were also launched. The AA defences could not open fire."

Message of 24 Nov 1145 hrs of Marine Toulon: "In the same night, four airplane flew over Toulon but could not be caught by the searchlights."

French books correct the casualty numbers to 4 killed and 6 wounded (see http://img187.imageshack.us/i/listedesbombardementssuyv8.pdf/)

The French news clip of 11 December 1940 showed images of the bombed city (with of course the official anti-British propaganda of Vichy). I found several links supposed to show these images but all were dead, and a search on the INA website found nothing.

THis same night, a part of the 70 RAF bombers sent to Europe targetted Italy. A part of them apparently get lost (maybe there was wind pushing them to the west?) and finished over French coast, and bombed Marseille instead of Genoa.

Thanks

Hi Laurent, many thanks for great info!

Pavel