Thread: RAAF T.G.Ross 420277

Thanks

Default RAAF T.G.Ross 420277

Hi,
    I am trying to trace a photograph of RAAF Sergeant Theo Gilson Ross who was killed in a Spitfire crash on 9.4.1943 at Fairley Farm near Whittonstall,Northumberland.Sgt Ross came from Concord West,New South Wales.I have had an article in their local newspaper and also in the RSVP column.I have also contacted his High School which he attended at Parramatta but he is not listed on the school roll of honour.The school now has all the information that I sent them along with photographs of his grave stone.I have his service record which does not contain a photograph.I was hoping that his photograph was placed in a newspaper at the time.From one reply only,Sgt.Ross had a sister named Betty.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,Philip [Toml]

Thanks

Philip
    There are 3 x Ross in the Australian white pages, residential section, for Concord West & one Ross in Cremorne [where he was born ] .It's a very, very, long shot but they might be relatives who have a photo ?

http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/

Do wartime newspaper archives [if any] of Whittonstall area have a photo -eg local library ?

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 7th August 2010 at 19:43.

Thanks

Hi Philip,

I had a quick look at the NAA site, his service file is there but not on line but it should have a photo of him in it. You could order the file and you can get a copy of his photo if its there.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hi Philip,

I'm not sure how much research you have done on AUS420277 Theo Gilson ROSS RAAF. One aspect you may not have pursued are the activities of Ross' father, Frederick Theo Ross.

Frederick Theo Ross was born, place unknown to me, on 7-11-1890. He served in the !st AIF, and later joined the Australian Flying Corps, on 8-10-1917. During his flying training, he was involved in a flying accident on 25-5-1918 at No.10 Training School,Gosport. Although hospitalized, he does not appear to have been too badly injured. Ross returned to Australia per HMAT "Aneas", as a Lieutenant, on 22-11-1919. His appointment was terminated at 2nd Military Division (NSW), on 12-3-1920.

Frederick Ross also served in the RAAF (267105), during WWII. He was discharged as a F/O on 3-1-1946. I have no information on his activities during the war.

Frederick Ross passed away on 3-4-1975, aged 86. His death notice appeared in the 5-4-1975 edition of the Sydney Morning Herald. He died at the Repatriation Hospital, Concord, NSW. The notice mentions that he was; late of Manly Vale (NSW).

Using the directions given by Anne, I suggest you chase up relatives in the Manly Vale area.

Col.

Thanks

Philip

There is a Manly Daily newspaper & it's online , which would be suitable -given Col's reply re. Ross snr.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/

I found it useful when looking for one of my cousin's crew relatives, whose family lived in Manly. I wrote a letter to the Editor .Also try Aus. White Pages for Ross in the Manly area, [as Col suggests] one of Sydney's northern beach suburbs .It has a a ferry from the city & a large population .

The Mosman Daily, which has a similar format, used to be a well read, free, newspaper but times change .I found one of the reporters helpful as I wrote to the Mosman D first. Manly is further north.

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 8th August 2010 at 08:14.

Thanks

Default T G Ross

Hi Anne and Colin,
    Thanks very much for your detailed replies!! That is brilliant!! On my behalf a few people have checked the newspapers for a possible mention/photograph of Sgt.Ross.
    There is no photo in his service record.He has certainly been forgotten with regard to his Parramatta High School roll of honour.

Thanks again Philip

Thanks

Default photographs of Frederick Theo Ross

Hi Philip,
    We found some photographs of his father Frederick Theo Ross from WW1 they were thrown into a dumpster near where we live. There are images only possibly of his mates and himself. I can send you copies of them if you like. I know you are looking for his son though we do not have any copies of those ones,

Thanks

Hi-Please do send me your photographs of his Dad during WW1 which you have found in a dumpster.I am interested to learn how you have found these or what source did they come from if this is known as this could lead to more photographs of Theo Gilson Ross,Spitfire pilot in the RAAF who was sadly killed near where I live.
    For some reason Theo's name is not recorded on the roll of honour in his Parramatta High School.In 2013 I traced Theo's service record photograph which is not available to the public and this is thanks to the Air Force.I gave a copy to another person and it ended up in a publication without my knowledge.I was in contact some years ago with the high school and again why is Theo's name not recorded on their roll of honour.I also learned that Theo had a sister called Betty.
    Please e-mail me and thanks very much for your reply.
    Philip

Thanks

Elan1234-Please send copies of those photographs that you have of the father of Theo Gilson Ross.As you have no e-mail address I am not able to contact you.My e-mail is philip.smith322@btinternet.com

Regards,Philip