Thread: MSI and ROB ?

Thanks

Default MSI and ROB ?

Hello,

I found these two acronyms in the bomb load of a No. 57 Squadron Wellington : I'm wondering what MSI and ROB.455 can mean ? The plane was carrying one 1000 lb, two 500 lb and one 250 lb bombs.

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

HI Joss,

I have the same problem but what I can tell you is:

MSI is some kind of code unique for the plane in the raid - in most cases it was combination of letter and numbers - so I suppose yor MSI was ROB455.

But what it was I have no idea, from my point of view it may have connection with the IFF - that the reponse of the plane was ROB455 and on the ground they know which aircraft it is as the aircrafts + MSIs were sent to the HQ before the T/O.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello Pavel,

You may be right. I've copied only the page of the form 541 for my "lost" Wellington, and the page has 3 Wellington entries : the first one is MSI - ROB.472, the second one (which force-landed in my area) : MSI - ROB. 455, and the third one MSI-ROB.727.

So it can be either a radio call-sign (unit was No. 57 Squadron in August 1941), or a radio frequency, or, as you put it, an IFF frequency.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

I checked the reports from 311 Sq for 1941 and I can say: MSI was several times the same letter combination + different numbers and several times different letters + different numbers so I was not able to find any rule how it was set.
    But for example in some documents the plane was always mentioned by the MSI not by the serila or individual letter so this code was very important.

Yes it may be a call sign but I am not so sure as I have not seen any record of W/T correspondence which will confirm this.

Unfortunately I was not able to decypher the meaning or use yet. I was also trying the RAF Museum Hendon and some radio associations with no luck.

If you will come accross anything I will be glad. At the moment the only thing I can provide is list of some known MSI used by 311 Sq

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

How about "mission signal identity" for the acronym MSI? Just a guess.

Can't imagine what ROB means, unless it refers to the transmitter of the signal, in which case it might mean "radio on board".

All idle speculation, of course.
    David