Thread: Crash of 106 Squdron Lancaster.

Thanks

Default Crash of 106 Squdron Lancaster.

Can anyone help please - does anyone know the exact location where L 5844, 106 Squadron Lancaster crashed. It was near Essen, 2nd June 1942, Pilot was Ft Lt John Allan Worswick, DFC, some of the crew were Alfred George Bake, John Downie Brown, Lambert.
    Thanks.

Thanks

Hi Lester,

first of all I would like to point out that L5844 was not a Lancaster but Bristol Bombay so it was not your plane.
    Searching the net + using A-B serials book I would guess it was R5844 you are looking for - serving with 106 Sq and missing on 2.6.42 while on Essen operation.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Lester
    Your a/c is in Chorley Bomber Command Losses Vol 3.He gives the serial No as R5844 and records that it was the first Lancaster to be reported missing from 106 Sqn.The target was Essen but Chorley doesn't have a crash site.The crew were :-
    F/O J A Worswick,DFC,pilot
    Sgt R I Hart,F/E
    W/O G Robson DFM,Nav
    P/O A G Bake,DFM, Bomb Aimer
    Sgt J D Broom,W/op
    Sgt T E Hodgson, A/G
    Sgt W L Lambert, A/G
    The are buried in the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery and this suggests that they were initially buried elsewhere(possibly by the Germans) and moved by CWGC postwar. If you can locate the original burial site it might give an indication as to where the a/c came down as it seems to have been the German habit,at that stage of the war, to bury crashed aircrew reasonably close to where they were found.CWGC created or developed a number of Cemeteries in Europe into which they collected isolated graves in order to provide better care for the remains, they also brought in many bodies that were otherwise unknown but were later identified by MRES in a search that went on into the 50's
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default R5844

Thanks very much for your help gents.

Thanks

Default 106 Lancaster loss.

Dick - thanks for your imput. A relative of W.O George Robson, DFM, heard a story that Mrs Worswick flew to Germany at the end of the war and traced the gun crew that shot R5844 down. They told her that it crashed in a school playing field, and the bodies of some of the crew were on the ground with parachutes half opened, indicating that they bailed out at very low altitude. I didn't find the story very plausible being a sceptic. I did send a request to the German Historical Society, but have had no reply as such.