Thread: Special Ops to Norway March 1945

Thanks

Default Special Ops to Norway March 1945

Hi All,

Would anyone happen to know anything about `Operation Sturrup 8` Or `Snaffle 6` these are references given with the loss of Stirlings of 299 sq flying to Norway 30 March 1945.

Regards
    Dave

Thanks

Dave,
    Not that this is much help to you but there is a mention of 'Snaffle' (No number) Page 228,237 and 'Stirrup' (No number i and not u in Stirrup) in 'Stirlings in action with the Airborne Forces by Dennis Williams.Publishers Pen&Sword . Aviation. ISBN978--84415-648-1.

This covers `190 & 620 Squadrons.I looked up both 'Stirrup' and 'Snaffle' but couldn't see anything of assistance to you.

If you do have a question give me a yell at awarculus@xtra.co.nz

cheers,
    Digger.

Thanks

Hi, this might be of interest....

SNAFFLE

Stirling LJ 888 who took of on the night of 30/31 March 1945, for a highly secret operation planned for a special equipment drop for the Norwegian resistance movement (MILORG) in order to obtain information as to the German progress with the development of the atomic bomb at the heavy water plant at the town of RJUKAN in TELEMARK.

The code name for this operation was 'SNAFFLE 6' - only the pilot and navigator were told of the target, the dropping zone and the type of the equipment carried. This was an SOE1 Special Operations Executivemission.

Aircraft LJ888 took of at approx 21.30hrs for S.E. Norway for the dropping zone BIT (59.20N - 09.56E), with 10 containers and 12 packets. On the night of the operation it was a brilliant moonlit night with no cloud cover and the aircraft were easy targets for the German JU 88s who had superior speed and armament. The JU88s were armed with 20mm cannons and the Stirlings only had 7mm Brownings, which were no match, and the speed of the Stirlings was 190mph against the JUs 300mph, which clearly indicates that they were sitting targets without a chance. Furthermore, the Germans had located a radar station at Risor and a night fighter station at Kristiansundon the south east coast of Norway.

The Stirling LJ 888 from 196 Squdron was shot down over Arendal with the loss of the whole crew.

STIRRUP.

On the night 30/31 March 1945, 75 aircraft (65 were from 38 Group) took-off for supply drop operations mainly to Scandinavia.
    6 aircraft were lost.
    Including Stirling IV PK225 SG-Q who flew SOE supply drop operation 'Stirrup 8' to South Norway.
    PK 225 took-off from Shepherds Grove, Suffolk, at 21h38 on 30 March 1945 and never came back.

Regards,
    Rick
    Last edited by Ravrick; 11th August 2010 at 04:37.

Thanks

Thanks Digger/Rick,

It`s actually for a relative of a crew member of PK225 that I am researching, I have all the crew details,etc but still don`t know what the code names `Stirrup 8` and `Snaffle 6` mean, and would 2 aircraft from same squadron on same night be on different Ops, i.e it has been quoted online that PK225 was on `Stirrup 8` and LK332 was on `Snaffle 6` I would have thought they would fly the same mission, so were `Stirrup & Snaffle` area drop zones?

I was trying to find out where PK225 came down, as it is just listed as `Failed to Return` in Air Britain file. Other aircraft that night were attacked by night-fighters so presumably there should be some indication of what happened to PK225?

Regards
    Dave.

Thanks

Dave,
    In answer to your question, 'Stirrup' and 'Snaffel' were indeed drop zones. Also more than one aircraft from the same Squadron would fly to different Drop Zones. (DZ's).

Cheers,
    Digger.

Thanks

Thanks Digger,

I`m closing in on this one now, found that `Snaffle 6` DZ was at Nimedal, around 100km wnw of Oslo but I now need to find where `Stirrup 8` DZ was. Any idea?

Regards
    Dave

Thanks

Default dougs

I am a newcomer to this forum but read with interest the Snaffle 6 discussion. Don't know if it helps but my fathers log book indicates he was on a SOE operation to "Norway Snaffle 6" 18 April 1954 flying in a Halifax V .
    The squadron B flight 296 Squadron. Pilot was "Barry". Father Laurence Simpson was a WO WT operator

Thanks

Dougs,
    Full crew were......
    F/Lt C.V.R. Barry.
    F/Sgt R.A. Weallans.
    WO L. Simpson.
    F/O J.E. Bamber.
    F/O P. Sidebottom.
    Sgt B. Langshaw.

Halifax LK446, took off at 22.50, landed 07.13.
    Alan.