Thread: 635 Sqn ORB - information sought

Thanks

Default 635 Sqn ORB - information sought

Linking to the thread I posted recently, trying to trace information on a relative's DFM citation (which was very successful, here: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?p=51963 )
    and through that have also found detailed 97 Sqn ORB entries online for the period, which detail all of his operational sorties in the year, leading up to his transfer to 635 Sqn when it formed in March 1944.

I am now trying to track down where I might find 635 Sqn's ORB entries covering 20 April 1944 to help complete the picture and to try and glean any further details about the probable crash site to be able to find that too. I am about to see if I can find it online at the National Archive, but in the meantime, any other ideas or pointers to find it?

Most of the references I have found online list ND826 as "lost"; although one reference mentions a nightfigther, I have also found from records of German nightfighter activity that night that no claims made were anywhere even remotely near the area of the crash, and another source tells me that they were too late deployed in that area that night.

So now heading deep into the area of guessing, it may well have been fire from the ground which hit the aircraft and/or crew and caused the crash - with the railway yards there which they were tasked to attack, I imagine that Ottignies would have been well defended in that respect. It is also possible, given that the general location of the crash is only about 4-5 kilometres away from Ottignies and that all of the crew were killed; they are all buried in Heverlee cemetery, in individual, adjacent plots presumably because the bodies were all able to be identified separately; which might indicate that it was a crash from a relatively low level and angle of approach, perhaps soon after turning off the target, rather than a high speed impact from a higher altitude. There is a reference to the "Bois de Chauweres" as a location, but that is proving elusive, even to a Belgian contact!

Mark

Thanks

Must be getting better at searching the National Archive! referecne for 635 Sqns records is AIR27/2155...but if anyone knows where there is already a copy...

Mark

Thanks

Default 635 Sqn

According to the RAFRA site 635 Sqn stuff is being taken care of by 35 Sqn Assn:
    35 Squadron (contact point) Bill Stevenson, 20 Chapel Close, Saughall, Chester CH1 6DQ: 01244 657902 01244 657902 catherine.stevenson5ATbtinternet.com (changet to the @ where it says AT). Might be worth a punt to ask them. If they dont have a copy they may know how to get hold of a copy.
    Dee

Thanks

According to Chorley in BCL Vol.5, page 177;
    "Crashed at Dion-le-Mont (Brabant), 4km ESE of Wavre, Belgium".
    HTH,
    Bill.

Thanks

Thanks guys - I've tried the 635 sqn Association contact, but got a "message undelivered" response back. I've got a couple of friends in belgium seeing what they can find out, and I'll head for the NRO at some point when I get 5 minutes to have a look at the 635 ORB, and to the RAF Museum for the bomber Command Loss record card to see what else I can find.

MG Mark

Thanks

I saw this book advertised in the latest edition of the RAF News and thought it may be of interest or use ; http://635squadron.com/index.htm
    I've never seen it reviewed or advertised before but it looks to be quite a large book and probably is as it retails at 59-99 plus 8-99 p&p from the website .
    The advertisement is for the Aviation Bookshop who are offering signed copies at the same price plus 5 p&p .
    Apologies if this type of post is not allowed and no , I'm not being paid a sales commission !

Thanks

Default Sq635 information sought

Hello,
    I could read information sought dated from 2010 about the Ottignies raid of april 20 1944 and about the lancaster crash in the bois des chauweres;I am interested to know whether you have progressed about this subject because I search the same information since one year.I am Belgian nationality and located near the "bois des chauweres".I could get two witnesses about this crash and confirm the location.Now, we need to identify exactly.

I would be interested about furhter contact with pilot team family still alived.Il we identify the location, our plan is to organize an comemoration on april 20 2014.

Many thanks in advance,
    best regards
    Alain.
    My private adress: alainlibert@hotmail.com