Linking to the thread I posted recently, trying to trace information on a relative's DFM citation (which was very successful, here: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?p=51963 )
and through that have also found detailed 97 Sqn ORB entries online for the period, which detail all of his operational sorties in the year, leading up to his transfer to 635 Sqn when it formed in March 1944.

I am now trying to track down where I might find 635 Sqn's ORB entries covering 20 April 1944 to help complete the picture and to try and glean any further details about the probable crash site to be able to find that too. I am about to see if I can find it online at the National Archive, but in the meantime, any other ideas or pointers to find it?

Most of the references I have found online list ND826 as "lost"; although one reference mentions a nightfigther, I have also found from records of German nightfighter activity that night that no claims made were anywhere even remotely near the area of the crash, and another source tells me that they were too late deployed in that area that night.

So now heading deep into the area of guessing, it may well have been fire from the ground which hit the aircraft and/or crew and caused the crash - with the railway yards there which they were tasked to attack, I imagine that Ottignies would have been well defended in that respect. It is also possible, given that the general location of the crash is only about 4-5 kilometres away from Ottignies and that all of the crew were killed; they are all buried in Heverlee cemetery, in individual, adjacent plots presumably because the bodies were all able to be identified separately; which might indicate that it was a crash from a relatively low level and angle of approach, perhaps soon after turning off the target, rather than a high speed impact from a higher altitude. There is a reference to the "Bois de Chauweres" as a location, but that is proving elusive, even to a Belgian contact!

Mark