Thread: RCAF /Spitfire inquiry

Thanks

Default RCAF /Spitfire inquiry

Is anyone able to assist with the following please?

We have a signed print purchased several years ago of "three" Spitfires.

The only information available:

S/L ( Squadron Leader ? ) H. H. Booth

The caption reads...." Swing low sweet chariot "....spitfires of the RCAF on a low sweep.

The print is dated 1943.

Unfortunately there is no mention of squadron number or anything further.

It would be much appreciated if anyone could provide any details on S/L H.H. Booth.

Eric

Thanks

Eric,

Does the print show the letter codes on the aircraft fuselage? That should indicate what Squadron we are dealing with.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

There was a S/L Harold H. Booth, RCAF who published a book during the war titled "Book of Modern Warplanes", that was mostly artwork by S/L Booth. Very rare, only ever saw one copy briefly.

Thanks

Adrian and Bill....thanks....here is a bit more my father sent along as he has the print.

3 aircraft, gentle left bank over a Broken cloud layer with farmland below.

Centre aircraft which is the lead has a light greenish band around the aft forward of the vert. stab. fuselage with an E or an 8 on it.

Forward of that is 5J then the roundel and a large M all in white lettering.

The 5 could be an S and no such markings were painted on the other two aircraft behind left and right.

The roundel has a yellow ring around it.

The print was purchased by my parents during an auction in the mid-seventies from a wealthy family in the small southwestern Ontario town we grew up in. There is some speculation that the original owner of the premises where the auction took place may have also been with the RCAF and perhaps he was a personal friend of S/L Booth as it is an autographed copy.

Thanks

126 Squadron?

http://www.rafweb.org/SqnMark126-140.htm

Thanks

Default Spitfire Painting

G'day Chaps

No. 126 (F) Squadron used the code '5J' on their Spitfire Mk. IXB's from April 1944 to December 1944.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Thanks for the further input gentlemen.

I purchased a copy of the book online Bill refers to in his reply. There is suppose to be a description of each painting in the book....assuming the print we have is a copy of a painting from this book it should lend some insight. I did also note online a reference to a Harold Booth, painter, born 1924...passed away 2010 and was living in New York. Perhaps the same fellow.

Good starting point.

Eric

Thanks

The only problem I can see is, was 126 an RCAF squadron? According to Eric, the caption on the picture says......................"spitfires of the RCAF on a low sweep."
    Just a thought,
    Bill.

Thanks

Default S/L H.H. Booth

Greetings All,

S/L H.H. Booth was a decorated RCAF pilot in WW1 and also served in WWII. He lied about his age and began serving when he was 17 years old in Ottawa. He flew (and crashed) quite a few of the old Handley Page's, and spent two tours as a German POW at the Holzminden camp, the second time after a failed tunnel escape when the trench they dug collapsed during the escape and he was the last one out. Following the war, he concentrated on his art and worked as the Art Director for a technology company outside Boston, MA. He also produced several books and paintings of vintage aircraft, in addition to sidework creating fine art heraldry, model building and numerous outher paintings, many of which hung in my den at home, including the print you describe here - I've read that inscription many times.

He also hated sauerkraut, and was a kind, loving Dad. He passed away in 1968 at the age of 72, I was 7 years old - I wish I had gotten to know him better. But, much of his artwork still hangs in my home today, and some great pictures and stories of his adventurous life. H.H. Booth was my Dad, Harold Harmon Booth.

David Booth
    Last edited by dave2; 1st January 2011 at 17:28.

Thanks

Default Calling all descendants of Holzminden POW Camp for Officers (Sept 1917 - Dec 1918)

My name is Jacqueline Cook and I am an Australian screenwriter currently in development on a film tentatively titled, The Enemy Within - a story told against the background of the 1918 Holzminden tunnel escape. I am also writing a book called Faces of Holzminden, profiling real-life POWs who passed through the gates. We are attempting to locate descendants of the POWs held in this camp and our researcher spotted this post by David Booth, whose father, Harold Harmon Booth, was a guest of Kommandant Niemeyer during WWI.

I was hoping that David might still be active on this site, and if so, could he please contact me about the possibility of profiling his father. My email address: jcook@facesofholzminden.com

We have so far built up a confirmed list of 130 Holzminden officers and a handful of orderlies, with many more to go. If anyone on this site is a descendant, we'd love to hear from you. You can read all about the book project at www.facesofholzminden.com - if you know of anyone who is a descendant, please pass on the link. We are also compiling a list of internees, as best we can.

The link to the film site is: http://www.jacquelinecook.com/in-development/the-enemy-within.html

Many thanks -

Jacqueline Cook
    Screenwriter, The Enemy Within
    Author, Faces of Holzminden