Thread: P/O A. J. Fitchett - 51 Sqn

Thanks

Default P/O A. J. Fitchett - 51 Sqn

Hi all. My uncle lost a cousin of his, P/O Arthur James Fitchett, of Bontddu, Meirionethshire, whilst with 51 Sqn. He was the nav on F/O J. N. Mackenzie's crew lost on the night of 24/25 June 1943 in JD250 'R'. Has anyone out there got the Operation Record Sheets for 51 that may be able to help me with the ops, and aircraft serial numbers involved that he flew in while with the unit. I have no other info on his service career.
    Last edited by Celt 22; 12th August 2010 at 16:00.

Thanks

Celt 22, Welcome!
    Yr man looks as if he Enlisted (1576697) some time bewteen Apr and Oct 1941 (location not known). By 16 Feb 43 he is an LAC - possibly having just finished his aircrew training. He gets Commissioned Plt Off (138391) on 16 Feb 43. The rest of his Service career can be obtained from RAF Cranwell (Disclosures) - there are a number of threads on this forum with the details.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,
    Thank you so much for the info. I will apply to Cranwell for his service records ( I had always assumed that you had to be a close relative to obtain these ). The only other info I know about him is that he was in a reserved occupation (teacher) prior to enlistment.
    Your help is much appreciated.
    Ian

Thanks

Ian,
    As I understand it, if you are NoK (or certified descendants thereof) you can get the full whack of the Service Record. If you are not directlly NoK then you can get a summary of the Service Record for 30. In yr man's case it's not going to be much different!! He had, regretfully, a very short RAF career! But you'd better get your skates on! The next round of Defence Cuts might do away with the Cranwell Disclosures lot - or, at least, farm it out to private industry (fees tripled?!!)
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,
    Thanks for your advice. I've downloaded the forms from Cranwell and i'll send them as soon as poss.
    Cheers
    Ian