Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POW camp casualties

Thanks

Default POW camp casualties

Has anyone seen any references to casualties that died whilst in POW camps, the pow name index we often use originated from the late war details of pow's within the camps. Obviously the CWGC will hold the casualtie details but no method of search is available to locate those that sadly died in the camps.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks

Colin,
    Just a thought!
    Do not CWGC have on record where deceased PoWs in Germany were first buried before they were collected into the major Commonwealth cemeteries in Germany when the War was over?
    If CWGC do not have this info then somebody might? Hopefully not AHB!! Trying to get this sort of info out of them in a realistic time-scale (the cycle of painting the Forth Bridge comes to mind!) is a bit difficult!!
    There must be a way!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Colin

PoWs who died in Germany are generally buried in Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery. I have found 64 RAAF (4) RAF(14), RCAF (9) RNZAF (1) 28 killed in the Gresse incident, many died of natural causes (TB, Peritonitis, Dysentry, Diptheria etc) 1 from the Great Escape, some died from wounds received before capture about 6 killed by police, SS, escaping etc.
    There are the odd one elsewh

Thanks

Default POW Info

You could try "Footprints in the Sands of Time", this has a Bomber Command listing but will provide some info. There is also a book dealing with RAF POWs in the Far East Theatre but can't remember its title or find it on my bookshelves at a glance (will search later).

Can't agree that all POWs are buried in Berlin, although of course many are. It depends when death took place eg if of wounds suffered, it could be within hours of falling into enemy hands and the Great Escapers were all cremated etc.

I would have thought that there would have been some reconciliation done after the war. Despite previously expressed views re AHB(RAF), call Stuart Hadaway, who wrote the book on missing in action and the work to find these people. He will be able to give you chapter and verse on where to find the info. He's also a good egg!!!

Old Rotor

Thanks

Thank you for the responses : My frustration centres around the information which was or is held by the CWGC records but no way to access it, I agree that many of the casualties within the many pow camps will be spread across Germany and Poland in particular.

Thanks

As far as Poland is concerned the majority are in Poznan Old Garrison Cemetery. 48 from the Great Escape (Street is in Berlin & Espilid was repatriated to Norway. The other 7 I have 1 fell from a window, 1 was hit by a train, 1 was killed by lightning, 1 died from meningitis, 3 shot during escape attempts. For Malbork I have 1 executed by the Gestapo and the other shot whilst a PoW, Cracow (Rakowicki) Cem. 5, 1 died from natural causes, 1 killed in an air attack on a working party, 3 shot during escape attempts.

Outside Berlin I have found the following:
    Sage has 2 both look like death due to injuries received,
    Rheinberg 7, 1 killed in an air raid, 2 probably killed in battle whilst evading in Feb.1945, 4 look like death soon after due to injuries,
    Reichswald 11, 3 murdered the rest look like death due to injuries soon after
    Kiel 1 due to injuries
    Hanover 8, 1 murdered by civilians, 2 natural causes, 5 due to injuries
    Hamburg 4, 1 from bone disease, 1 natural causes, 2 due to injuries
    Durnbach 25, 9 murdered on the ground, 1 by allied bombing, 1 in a train strafed by alllies, rest due to injuries
    Becklingen 9, 1 from heart attack, 4 died of injuries, 4 natural causes?

There are some official figures which I can't lay my hands on at present, but are evidently exclusive of SE Asia.

Thanks

Dear Colin
    As Old Rotor says "Footprints" is a good place to start. As John posted in his last posting Poznan Old Garrison Cemy has most of the Great Escapers, though there also others who were shot while trying to escape, though John Kiddell was shot while he was in a mental hospital. There are potentially those who died in work camps from accidents and there are certainly those who died during the Long Marches of January 1945. Contacting the CWGC may be your best bet,
    Good luck.
    James

Thanks

Hi,

While reading Escape, Evasion And Revenge - The true story of a German-Jewish RAF Pilot who bombed Berlin and became a P.O.W - Marc H Stevens

The story of S/L Peter STEVENS M.C RAFVR

The book mentions an escape attempt from a train moving RAF prisoners from Oflag XC Lubeck to Oflag VIB Warburg 6/10/1941 ? It mentions a Pilot Officer Robinson being crushed under the train while trying to escape. Now 84938 F/O T.M Robinson 106 Sqn died 10/10/1941 and is buried at Hanover CWGC. Also he is listed in the London Gazette as being awarded an Mention in Despatches 8/6/1944 (I believe MIDs were awarded to men who died while trying to escape)

Anyone have any more information

TIA

Mark

Thanks

Default W/O2 Mallory RCAF 434 Sq

A very interesting story on this man's death. There was a training airfield nearby, being airforce prisoners they continually tried to get the German pilots to fly lower and lower. well on April 30,1944, it was just too low. A ju-88 came down so low that this W/O2 Mallory was exercising in the compound at Camp IVB with a fellow prisoner when a JU-88 came through the compound, killed Mallory, broke his friends leg and left after going through the barb wire fence. The JU did not crash, but I wonder what the story was when he landed.

Thanks

Default RAF POW's Rangoon Jail

Hi Colin,

It is a mere drop in the ocean I know, but I can produce all the RAF inmates of Rangoon Jail during WW2 if they are of interest to you?

I also have the USAAF POW's too.

Let me know.

Steve.