Thread: WOP Grade II/WOP Grade I

Thanks

Default WOP Grade II/WOP Grade I

Hi all,

could anybody explain me the difference between WOP Grade I and II? I suppos ethere was some kind of special exam to get the Grade I and maybe more money for Grade I. But what was the differnece in service or knowlwdge?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,
    I think the trade was divided into the two "Grades" in 1942 or thereabouts, and one of the chief distinctions was that the Grade I operators were paid at a higher rate as you say. This distinction may well have been arrived at by trade test marks gained in a written examination of technical knowledge of their specific trade, but cannot say that I have actually seen this spelled out. I seem to recall that the difference was pointed out in Air Ministry Orders (AMOs) to make it clear to all concerned (with the Air Ministry administration) that the difference between the two grades was, so far as they were concerned, purely to do with pay and seniority, and made no difference to their consideration for postings, etc. Do we have any "old stagers" out there who could elaborate?
    David D