Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DFM book

I would be very grateful for any information regarding the DFM awarded to my Uncle Sgt George A D Richards 1383252 of No 10 Sqd in Jan 1944.

From Ian Tavenderís book : The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War : -

RICHARDS, George Alfred David : 1383252 Sergeant No. 10 Sqn.

LG 21/1/1944, Sorties 25, Flying hours 144.00, Air Gunner, Air2/9153

Sergeant Richards was posted to No. 10 Squadron in May 1943 and after completing 25 sorties comprising of 144 operational hours, has now been recommended for screening and posting for instructional duties. This NCO has throughout his tour displayed high morale, cheerfulness and eagerness to get at grips with the enemy. He possesses unusual qualities of cheerful confidence and, during an attack by a JU88, his Captain, Flight Sergeant Thackray, stated that Sergeant Richards displayed coolness in giving evasive instructions which saved the aircraft from serious damage. During an attack on Gelsenkirchen on the night of 9th. July 1943, he was rear gunner in a Halifax, which received severe damage from a high concentration of flak in the port wing and fuselage. During a raid on Berlin on 23rd. August 1943, his aircraft was attacked by a JU88 and, although he fired a short burst, no strikes were seen on the enemy aircraft. Our aircraft received damage to the rear turret and fuselage. Despite this, Sergeant Richards has continued to operate with undiminished ardour and I strongly recommend that his outstanding devotion to duty and fighting qualities be now recognised by the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.
    1st. November 1943

Remarks by Station Commander

This NCO has consistently displayed keenness and devotion to duty and shows complete fearlessness in the face of danger. His fine example has done much to maintain the high standard of morale in his crew. I recommend that his good work be recognised by an award of the DFM.

--

Regards

Douglas

Douglas,
    I am very much indebted to you for sharing this information with me. Georges son Clive has been in hospital since early Sept and this will be a great tonic for him. I have been attempting to trace his career since his posting to No 21 OTU in Nov 1943. Need to visit the PRO as I see they have operational records available for this period.

Regards

David

David

I am happy to be of some assistance. It may be worth asking a few questions in the General Category of the forum. Some of the very helpful forum members may be able to help you.

Regards

Douglas