Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DFM book

Default thank you to all. D Purdy

Thanks to all, for your help and information on my granddad. You made me very proud reading about him.

This thread seems to have been inactive for a while - so just a longshot: I'm trying to find out what the citation says for my father, Ernest Desmond Martin. He was a sergeant observer in Fairey Battles for 150 Sqn in 1940 and was awarded the DFM, I believe for a mission based out of France on 10th May 1940. It was presented to him at Buckingham Palace in early 1941. Any details from anyone would be great. Thanks. Brian.

Brian

From Ian Tavenderís The Distinguished Flying Medal Register : Second Wold War, your fatherís citation is a joint citation with Clifford Cooper : -

Cooper, Clifford 610233 Leading Aircraftman, No. 150 Sqn.
    Martin, Ernest Desmond 626908 Sergeant, No. 150 Sqn.
    L.G. 5/11/1940

Leading Aircraftman Cooper (Wireless Operator / Air Gunner) and Sergeant Martin (Air Observer) are the regular flying crew of Flying Officer W.M. Blom DFC, recently decorated for his part in an attack on an enemy column in The Echtenarch area on 10th. May 1940. Since that date, they have completed one day and eight night sorties on missions against the enemy, carrying out their tasks with the greatest efficiency and always contributing valuable and concise information during subsequent interrogation. I consider the excellent work of both to be most deserving of recognition.
    8th. June 1940

Thank you so much for your swift and full response. That completes another gap in trying to gather information on my father! He survived the war and stayed in the RAF, retiring as a Sqn Ldr. in 1970. He never talked much about what he did in WW2, but only yesterday Martin Gleeson on this site provided me with photos of my father's bullet ridden Fairey Battle (K9369) that somehow managed to get back to base on 10 May, 1940 (and it never flew again). That mission is something he did mention, particularly as a shell took the oxygen mask off his face!
    Brian

Brian

I have had a look at Nick and Carol Carterís ďThe Distinguished Flying Cross And How It Was Won 1918-1995. F/O Blomís citation may give you some more detail : -

Blom, Walter Michael F/O 40041 RAF 150 Sqn.
    London Gazette 31/5/1940:3253

During May 1940, this officer was detailed to lead a half section of aircraft in a low level bombing attack against an enemy motorised column of all arms advancing on a road in Luxemburg. Before reaching his objective, a petrol tank was pierced by machine-gun fire and, although unable to locate his allotted target through being drenched and almost blinded by the escaping petrol, he pressed home his attack on another enemy column with considerable success. During this time, the aircraft was subjected to very heavy fire from the ground and was repeatedly hit, receiving such damage as to render it beyond repair, but this did not prevent F/O Blom from flying back to the base, a distance of 90 miles. He displayed outstanding courage and tenacity.

Regards

Douglas

Thanks Douglas - very useful. It adds a little more detail to the 150 Sqn Operations Logs that Martin Gleeson emailed me. F/O Blom certainly had some guts to carry on - and the logs say that they were at 100 feet over the column at times, so no wonder they got shot to pieces! K9369 was the only aircraft return from that mission (out of 4 aircraft).
    Regards, Brian

Morning all, New to your great site. Packed with great information. I am try to find any information for the DFM for 1804268 Sgt Philip Myers 578 Squadron.

Many thanks

Ray

Ray

Tavender’s : The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War records the following : -

MYERS, Philip 1804268 Sergeant No. 578 Sqn.
    L.G. 17/4/1945, Sorties 31, Flying hours 148.25, Navigator : Air 2/9060

Sergeant Myers has completed 31 sorties totalling 148.25 hours in the course of which he has carried out attacks upon a wide range of tactical and strategical targets including those at Duisburg, Munster, Julich and Wilhelmshaven. He has proved himself on operations to be a persistently conscientious and indefatigable navigator who has worked with a high standard of skill and consistent care and attention on his charts throughout every sort of flight. Throughout his tour, he has shown the greatest enthusiasm for his work over the longest journeys and throughout the heart of the enemy’s defences. In all conditions of weather, this Navigator has accepted every discomfort with admirable fortitude. He has thus played a part as a vital member of his crew with fine devotion to duty. It is recommended that his good operational record should be recognised by the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.
    22nd. January 1945

Remarks by Station Commander

This Navigator has maintained a high standard of work and has shown courage and determination throughout his operational tour. He has proved himself to be a keen and efficient member of aircrew and the part he has played has contributed in no small manner to the many successful attacks carried out against the enemy. I recommend that the fine record of this NCO should be recognised by the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.

--

Regards

Douglas

Many thanks Douglas.

Quote Originally Posted by purdy View Post
    I have inherited my Grandpas DFM, wo T Purdy. I have a few paper cutouts from his home town gazette but find it hard to find out more about him. I know were he is buried but apart from that i am stuck, could anyone tell me what book or sites that may help. Thanks D Purdy
    Hi Purdy,

Would you please so kind to get in touch with me as i researching your Father's aircraft Wellington Z1097 crashed Someren 28 Dec 1941 and i looking for relatives of Thomas Purdy for a very long time.

Regards,
    Adrian