Thread: F/S John Burns Winter (NZ421805)

Thanks

Default F/S John Burns Winter (NZ421805)

98 Squadron raided a Noball site at Bois Coquerel on 8 May 1944. Mitchell FV913 "J" has hit by flack and the Navigator, F/S J.B. Winter, was hit in the head by shrapnel, lost consciousness and died just after the A/C landed at Friston.

I am interested in the names of the remainder of the crew, namely F/S Anstey (Pilot), F/S Campbell (Wop/AG) and F/S Jarvis (A/G).

Regards,
    Christian

Thanks

Christian,

I checked my own file on Winter but it appears that his service record does not contain the names of the others in his crew.

Errol

Thanks

Christian/Errol,

Following might help with a couple:

(Later) Flying Officer R. S. Anstey; born Wellington, 15 June, 1920; clerk; joined RNZAF May 1942

(Later) Warrant Officer L. J. Jarvis; born Wellington, 1 July, 1922; motor-body builder; joined RNZAF April 1942

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2-2RAF-c9.html

Col.

Thanks

Col,

Thanks for pointing out Anstey and Jarvis's RNZAF connection. I didn't think at the time to cross-check Winter via Thompson's Official History.

Christian,

NZ424817 Ronald Stanley Anstey - embarked 'Day Star' for Canada and aircrew training on 31 Oct 42, disembarked San Francisco 17 Nov 42.

NZ422920 Lindsay James Jarvis - embarked 'Matsonia' for Canada and training as WOp/AG on 2 Oct 42, disembarked San Diego 14 Oct 42.

Errol

Thanks

Errol/ Col,

Thank you for the additional information on Anstey, Jarvis & Winter which helps to fill in a few blanks.

Regards,
    Christian