Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beverley in KENYA

Thanks

Default Beverley in KENYA

I am looking for a copy of the classic shot of a Bev dropping famine relief stores in Kenya out the back door on a low flypast in the late 50s or early 60s. If any one can help I would be pleased to hear from them..

Thanks

Run the name Beverley through the Flight archives, you might find it or similar.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html
    Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default 47 sqn BEVERLEY

Dont have a pic of that but do have a couple of 47ers F&X wheel down in my Halley Sqn book.
    Dee

Thanks

Hello Ndege,

I remember my older brother Brian once telling me about these drops. He was a navigator on 30 Squadron, based at RAF Eastleigh near Niarobi during the 1960s, grey/blue flying overalls, grey/blue flying helmet and yellow mae-west. He told me he use to stand by the rear freight bay on a long intercom lead passing instructions to the pilot one deck up. With the 'clamshell' freight doors removed, he said it was rather a hairy experience! I think 84 Squadron were also involved in these drops and believe they were based somewhere further North in Africa. (Aden?) 47 & 53 Squadrons were based at Abingdon, Oxon but they could well have been out on detachements. My brother is no longer with us, he was later killed in Saudi by terrorists so alas, I can't add to this.

Norman

P.S.
    Oggie,
    What is 'Halley Sqn book' please?
    Last edited by namrondooh; 17th August 2010 at 15:14. Reason: spelling correction

Thanks

Default Beverley in Kenya.

The reason for asking for this pic is I am putting together a new KENYA CALENDAR for 2011 with an Aviation Theme. Having published Kenya calendars for 2003, 2005 and 2008 with Churches, Railways and Postcards, the new calendar features 24 black and white photographs, two per month of aircraft in Kenya from the first powered flight at Maktau in October 1915 through the early biplanes and seaplanes to aircraft of World War II and on to the jet age. If any one is interested please let me know..

Thanks

It won't be any use for your purposes, but it does appear on Page 222 of the 'Short History of the RAF ' on the RAF web site at http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/shorthistoryoftheroyalairforce.cfm. It's in Chapter 4 which can be downloaded from:
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/F21DD8AC_AEC6_1944_67719C4BD473804E.pdf

Philip Morten

Thanks

Default Beverley in Kenya

Many thanks Phillip,
    That certainly is the pic but on very low res and I would like to get a better copy. Possibly 30 Sqdn records may have one. My sources in Kenya havent had much luck to date.

Thanks

Default Beverley / Kenya / Hurricane

Further my request for the Bev pic, now identified, thank you, can any one throw any light on the history of a Hurricane BP452 that was inscribed 'Kenya Weekly News'

Thanks

Hello,

There's not much in Air-Britain volume BA100-BZ999 : BP452 was a Hurricane Mk IIC, from a large production batch of 1250 Hurricane IIB, IIC and IID, delivered between December 1941 and May 1942 by Hawker (Brooklands and Langley factories).

This Hurricane was send in the Middle East. No unit is given in the book, and she was struck off charge on 12th July 1945.

Her fate is not described either in the appendices of "The Hawker Hurricane" by Francis K. Mason.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss,
    Every little helps as they say.
    Rgds Kevin