Thread: Ju 88, Woodbridge, 25/6/1944

Thanks

Default Ju 88, Woodbridge, 25/6/1944

Hi All

... No, not the one that got lost and turned up as a surprise present for the RAF.

The latest project is looking at the emergency airfield at RAF Woodbridge, Suffolk. (From the ORB, absolutely amazing how some of those a/c made it back home, and the damage described).

Anyway, in the ORB there's an entry dated 24/6/1944 (although also a reference further on, of the bodies being recovered on 25th following the 'crash at 00.20') referring to a Ju 88 'shot down at Wantisden Heath, 2 miles from Woodbridge'. Three Luftwaffe aircrew were found killed in the wreck and 1 injured crewman taken to Ipswich Hospital. A fifth crew member's body was then found on 26th. The funerals took place at Woodbridge Cemetery on 28th and the dead were named as
    Lt H G Kasper
    Oblt G Hupka
    Uffz B Morweiser and
    Uffz P Werkhausen.
    (No name given for the guy who was captured).

Just wondering if anyone has any info about this Ju 88, it's identity / unit, whether it had been on an intruder op (night fighter?) or on a bombing raid, and how it may have been brought down: by anti-aircraft fire or by one of our n/f's.

As always, very hopeful that one of our experts will know!

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Ian

IO have a note of a Ju 188 F6+JL, W/n 281620 of 3F/122 shot down by night fighter at Padley Wood, Chillesford. The name of the surviving crewman is not knwn.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Default Woodbridge

Hi Dave

Could be it. On Multimap's OS maps there's a 'Padleywater' reservoir next to a wood between Chillesford and Woodbridge a/f.

And didn't the '188 have a crew of 5? (I'd wondered about that bit too.)

Now ... any volunteers for who shot them down?

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Default Ju 88,Woodbridge 25/6/1944

Ian,
    Although unable to help with the identity of the nightfighter,the captured crewman was an Unteroffizier W.Scheel (The Blitz Then and Now,Vol. 3).
    Hope this is of interest,
    Regards,Mark.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianh View Post
    Now ... any volunteers for who shot them down?

Cheers

Ian

W/C Cathcart Michael Wight-Boycott DSO and F/L D.W. Reid, 25 Squadron, Mosquito XVII HK257.

The notes I have on this (from a post made on the old RAF Commands Forum, in the days before I saved the links) are:

"E/A of (F)./122, Ju 188F-1, F6+JL, 281620, Shot down by Night Fighter and crashed at Padley Water, Chillesford, Suffolk at 12.15 hrs. Oberlt. H-G Kasper, Oberfw. G. Hupke, Uffz. B. Morweisser and Uffz. P. Werkhausen all killed. Uffz. W. Scheel bailed out and made a POW.

The info about the German "Boffin" being carried by the Ju 188 F6+JL from 3/(F).122 is completely spurious. This a/c took off from Soesterberg at about 2100 hours on 23 June 1944 on a shipping reconnaissance, carrying BLC50 flash-bombs and two cameras. The a/c was flying above 8/10ths cloud and obviously made a serious navigation error to cross the Suffolk coast. It was not unusual for German a/c on shipping reconnaissance to carry a 5th crew member as observer, in this case it was Oblt HUPKA. Uffz Willi SCHEEL (*30 Jan 1922)was the sole survivor from the crew; he was flung out as the Ju 188 disintegrated and landed with minor injuries, surrendering at Butley Post Office. Willi returned to Chillesford and Butley in May 1997. I have a copy of the "Personal" combined combat report from Wight-Boycott and Reid, and there are certainly no hand-written notes on this "

I believe the original poster of the details above was "BC."

Thanks

Default Woodbridge Ju 188

Bingo!

Many thanks chaps. A few more background details I can add to my notes about Woodbridge.

Ian

Thanks

Yes, 'BC' is/was the poster !

This was the 36th and penultimate e/a crash in Suffolk. Most of the wreckage was strewn through Forestry Commission land, and the aircraft disintegrated in the air, hence why it took a couple of days for all the bodies (4) to be found.

The Police reports are very interesting, the RAF made it known they were looking for missing cameras from the aircraft and there was some suggestion they had been removed by souvenir hunters, or even service personnel at the scene !

I have several pictures of the crew, provided by Luftwaffe researcher Ed Clark in Essex.

During the early 80s, RAF man Peter Stanley visited and found a 'trail' of panels and pieces from the aircraft. Presumably these were for his "Pathfinder Museum" at RAF Wyton. I've never seen any of the parts found, and I've never visited myself.

Interesting incident. How detailed is your research into RAF Woodbridge ELG, ianh ? I'm collecting battle-damage pictures/stories and quite a few finished here. PM me if you think it would be mutually beneficial.

Regards,

BC

Thanks

Default Woodbridge

Hi BC / BC1! (... name?)

Sounds like you've researched a/c crashes on your home patch?

That's very interesting, many thanks for that. I may try to PM you later. Your pictures / stories collection sounds interesting. Some of the Woodbridge arrivals were quite mundane, a few rather amusing, and a lot of them make you wonder how they managed to stay flying and get home. Some 'almost' (so nearly) made it but then crashed at the last moment trying to get down.

My research so far has comprised photographing and going through the ORB, then listing the a/c 'landings' detailed in there (RAF and USAAF) and adding details to make a more complete picture about those particular a/c: finding out what units they belonged to, a/c and unit identities, where they'd come from (bases), where they'd been (returning from a raid on ... ), etc. Quite a few landings weren't listed in the ORB (comparing the individual details with the month-end 'totals' given) but I don't think I'll try to find out the identities of those unidentified a/c.

Not sure yet how detailed I'm going to end up making all these entries ... have to see. I'm up to about 400 so far. So far I've covered late '43 through to July '44, so there's a few more months to record yet and I'll need another trip to Kew for some extra photos. If you're interested I can e-mail you an extract sample though.

Regards

Ian