Thread: Lancaster Ed877

Thanks

Default Lancaster Ed877

I have always been of the impression that the ED 877 indication is individual to one aircraft and is the factory designation of the aircraft and where it was built. I have recently seen that Lancaster ED 877 was also flown by Sqn Ldr H.M Young of 617 squadron on the Dambuster raid. This leads me to believe my previous assumption was incorrect, correct.

Thanks

I stand to be corercted but these are the Air Ministry assigned individual aircraft serial numbers.

refer to Ross's lilst:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2373&highlight=ap164

The batch of aircraft ED303 to EE202 Lancaster Avro included the aircraft you refer to above.

Each aircraft was assigned a number from this batch and yes this is individual to one aircraft. It is not assigned by the factory but by the government procurement body. It does of course link back to a factory, where that batch was built.

The other thing to remember is that within the batch ED303 to EE202 there were 'black out blocks'. This was a means of masking the numbers of aircraft being built by leaving out blocks of serials.

So, they may have built ED303 to ED353
    They might not have used the numbers ED354 to ED650
    Then the next bombers of the line would have numbers ED651 to ED6xxxxxx

Any number of pilots may have flown an aircraft, not sure what your observation was about the pilot?

There would have been Lancaster ED877, Lancaster ED878, ED879 etc Unless ED877 was the last aircraft in a production block, and ED878 was the start of a black out block.

Confused?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis, you do not have to be corrected as there is a slight error in the original posting, Young was flying ED887, not 877, hope that clears that up.
    Regards.......Alan.

Thanks

Default Ed877

Alan thanks for the clarification, I had googled "dambusters ED877" and more than one source alluded to this aircraft being flown by SLdr Young on the dambusters raid. That is where the confusion came in. My uncle was killed on a May 5 op to Dortmund in ED877 with 156 squadron.

Thanks

Leemic,
    You've probably already got all the info you need on your uncle, but just in case, i have the 156sqdn ORB for the period concerned if you want anything from it.
    Cheers......Alan.