Thread: DFC for F/Lt. EJ Brooks.

Thanks

Default DFC for F/Lt. EJ Brooks.

Hallo all,

Can anyone please supply me with the citation for the DFC awarded to F/Lt. Edward John Brooks (37378) ? It was announced in the London Gazette of 17 January 1941. If not the full citation I would still be very interested to learn why he received the DFC. It is frustrating that his is one of the very few names in that list without a squadron reference. I am aware he was with 228 Squadron c.1939-1940, but I would like to have seen it quoted in connection to the award !

Regards as ever,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Default DFC for F/Lt. EJ Brooks

Its not an answer to your actual question but linking back to an old thread :
    http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=3996&forum=DCForumID 6&archive=yes

He has no Squadron listed against him in the Flightglobal journal either

But a possible connection is this:

http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1956/1956%20-%201518.html
    http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1956/1956%20-%201518.html
    May place him in 1956 as commander of the retirement flight of the Lancaster as W/Cdr C/O of the School of Maritime Recon. Might be wrong. There's no mention of DFC against his name which I thought there ought to be.

Flight Global archive also places an E. J. Brooks with 228 GR Sqn as early as 1937.

LG has E J Brooks as W/Cdr by 1948.

Perhaps its for the U-55 sinking but would it take a year to be awarded?

Dennis
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 19th November 2007 at 23:23. Reason: Corrected U-Boat number
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default DFC to E.J. Brooks

BROOKS, Edward John, F/L (37378, Royal Air Force) - No.228 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 17 January 1941. Public Record Office Air 2/9251 has citation. Serving at Station Pembroke Dock at time of gazetting, but all services mentioned hitherto had been with No.228 Squadron, including time in Middle East.

"Flight Lieutenant Brooks has been engaged on operational flying since September 1939. He has made three successful attacks on enemy submarines. In April 1940, he carried out a reconnaissance of the Norwegian coast which earned him the congratulations of the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Coastal Command. In July, whilst operating near Gibraltar, he was engaged by three French fighters, and although possibly two of these were destroyed, he did not open fire until he was certain that the intention of the French aircraft was hostile. He has at all times shown great courage and devotion to duty."

Thanks

Default DFC to F/Lt. EJ Brooks

Hallo Dennis and Hugh,

Many thanks for your responses, the information is just what I needed.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.