Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13 Operational Training Unit.

Thanks

Default 13 Operational Training Unit.

I have searched all over the references at Kew and frequently asked the question on various boards, but l am struggling to find the ORB's or any details for 13 OTU at Kew, in my case for 12th April to 17th June 1941, l believe Course 32.

I have checked out Bicester Station ORB's with little more success. I regularly hear that other training squadrons have photo's, records, etc. but cannot find anything.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction on this?

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Default 13 Otu

Hi Nick,

`Bomber Command Losses Volume 7 - Operational Training Units 1940-47` by W.R.Chorley has all refs to 13 OTU spanning dates you mention. I have this if there is a specific date or aircraft you are interested in. Also there are photos of a couple of Blenheims with this unit.

Regards.
    Dave
    Last edited by highgroundsman; 14th February 2008 at 07:43.

Thanks

Default 13 Otu

Dave,

I am actually looking for photo's, records of training, etc. together with any actual operations or cross country training runs undertaken between the dates given as my Father served with this unit at that time before being transfered to 139 Squadron.

Chorley may have some details as l know he did crash a plane whilst training with either 13 OTU or 2 SFTS between 5th October 1940 and 17th June 1941, any details here would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help. Any assistance as to where the other records may be would be very useful.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

hello Nick

Not sure that small accidents to planes would be noted in an OTU ORB. From the few I've sampled, only the severe ones are mentioned (loss of life(s) and/or plane a write-off).

I presume the accident you are looking for happened on a Blenheim. If so, there should be an accident card (Form 1180) at the R.A.F. Museum, Hendon (Department of Research and Information service). The staff may find it for you, but the time frame is large and one can imagine that there were many accidents/incidents with Blenheims. You can look for it yourself there (they're on microfilm) and print out the corresponding document.

Joss

Thanks

Default 13 Otu

Hi Nick,

Too many prangs to decipher between these dates, If you posted your Fathers name we may be in with a chance.

Regards,
    Dave.

Thanks

Default 13 Otu

Dave/Joss,

My Father's name was Kenneth Fenton but l am not sure it was a Blenheim which may point to 2SFTS, rather than OTU. The reason that l know about it is that l have a piece of the prop. in the garage so it was possibly a reasonable prang.

I have checked out Hendon but with little to go on, they cannot help. Perhaps l need to go and look myself, as suggested.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Default 13 Otu

Sorry Nick,

Had a look in Chorley`s book between those dates but no 13 OTU losses with your Father, though there are some which only give the name of the pilot, so possible that one of these may be the aircraft, only thing is if you got the 1180 accident card from Hendon this too will only give the pilots name. Sorry I couldn`t help further.

Regards.
    Dave

Doug Cuthbertson Guest

Hi Nick,
    In the past, I have taken notes from 2 SFTS and 13 OTU. Just checked through, but cannot find that surname recorded and some minor incidents are listed as well as fatal ones. That it not to say your father's accident did not happen, though. As for photos, I do not recall seeing any in these two ORBs. They could be in any supplements, which may be on file.
    If you have any specific queries in these two ORBs, please PM me.
    Regards, Doug.

Thanks

Default 13 Otu

Thanks Fella's.

I will keep looking but if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Default 13 OTU, Bicester

Hi Nick,
    I am new to this forum. My father was in 13 OTU at Bicester as a gunner in Blenhiem mk1 From 1939 to 1941 I think, then went To methwold. He was in a crash when the plane overshot the runway and ended up in a tree. After that he did not fly again and went on to be a drill and Gas instructor at Methwold where He met my Mother at Feltwell who was a corporal in the WAAF.
    I have found it difficult to find much info or photographs of bicester from the sites on the internet, hope I have more success with this forum. If I find anything I will let you know.