Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who was this Woodbridge Mosquito 'visitor'? ...

Thanks

Default Who was this Woodbridge Mosquito 'visitor'? ...

Hi all

Details below as per the ORB, but they don't tie-up. Can anyone please help me work out the true identity of this visitor, which arrived at 3.00 am on 7/7/1944?

It is written as "Lt R A Tonnell" in a Mosquito coded "US-A" of "150 Sqn" from "Walton".

I can't work out who this actually was (unit / where he was based), for the following reasons:

"Lt" R A Tonnell - Not written a F/Lt. Maybe USAAF? SAAF?
    "US-A" - 'US-' was the code for 56 Sqn RAF - didn't fly Mossies. Were any other (non-RAF? PR units?) Mossie units coded "US"?
    "150 Sqn" - RAF 150 Sqn at this date was based in the Med/Italy.
    "Walton" - Unable to trace a 'Walton' a/f.

Could of course be typos in there.

So any thought/ideas gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Ian

Have you considered Watton, Mosquitos of USAAF were based there.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Hello,
    if you have the ORB of Woobridge,
    could you see for an emergency landing of a Lancaster of 103 squadron, I think it was in February or March 44, the pilot was F/Lt Russell-Fry.

Thank you !

Alain.

Thanks

There was a 1st Lt Robert Tunnel, who flew USAAF Mosquitos from Watton. Poor fellow and his navigator were shot down by ground fire in mid-September 1944 . His MACR says he was with the "AAF Combat Camera Unit" at the time, though I've only ever heard of the 653rd and 654th BS, 25th BG as having been at Watton.

From memory, he was one of the Americans who joinied the RCAF before the US entered the war, then eventually was transferred to the USAAF. There's a picture of Tunnel here:

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=Gx85T-eYPdQC&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=mosquito+%22robert+tunn el%22&source=bl&ots=Y-TVSOmnVC&sig=Rebr037eUumTPHJeDJGoq0ht2RA&hl=en&ei= f0hwTNiOE8LXcfeviP0M&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result &resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Cunney&f=fal se

though much of the other information about him "out there" is incorrect, in particular the info about him having been blinded by searchlights.

None of the American Mossies were coded US-(something) though.

Thanks

Default Woodbridge Mossie, and 103 Sqn Lancs

Thanks Dave. Looks promising. Have to see what I can find out about USAAF (PR?) Mossies. Watton sounds reasonable for 'Walton'. Maybe some there coded "US-".

Sorry Alain. Between 30/12/1943 and 31/7/1944, the period I've covered so far, only 2 Lancs from 103 are listed: P/O Jones in PM-I on 30/12/43 and F/L Allwood in PM-B on 23/4/1944. In neither case are the a/c serials given. (That might be the next stage of my research, finding out all the serials from other, ie Sqn, ORB's). No entry for a Russell-Fry either. Unfortunately I've found that there were lots of a/c that landed there whose details weren't recorded.

Regards

Ian

Thanks mhuxt (Mark?) for that extra info. (Your post appeared while I was typing the above). All sounds very promising ...
    Last edited by ianh; 21st August 2010 at 22:55. Reason: Post appeared while typing-up original acknowledgement

Thanks

heheheh, simultaneous posts!

Thanks

Ian,

653 'Light Weather ' Squadron (ie a meteorological squadron using 'light' bombers) and flying Mosquito PR Mk XVIs operated from Watton wef 23 May 1944. ("Even the birds were walking" - Kington & Rackliff). There are a number of photos of aircraft and crews but only one serial number NS510. I think (the book's a bit ambiguous) that the Mosquitoes were replaced by Mustangs around August/September.

Brian

Thanks

Thank you Ianh !

Alain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianh View Post
    Thanks mhuxt (Mark?) for that extra info. (Your post appeared while I was typing the above). All sounds very promising ...
    No worries Ian. The very best researcher for US Mosquito stuff is Norman Malayney. He regularly posts over on the forum at www.mossie.org. If you cross-post over there with "USAAF Mosquito" or something similar in the title, you may find he has some information for you. It may well be that he'll have the other side of the ledger, so to speak, though of course there's no guarantee.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks

The USAAF Mosquitos did not carry squadron codes. I suspect the notation USA was simply to denote that it was an American aircraft.