Thread: The loss of P/O Richard M Hogg (1940) and Flt Lt James E Hogg (1942)

Thanks

Default The loss of P/O Richard M Hogg (1940) and Flt Lt James E Hogg (1942)

I'm putting together some information on two Jersey brothers lost with the RAF during WW2:-

Pilot Office Richard Mazard Hogg, lost on 25 August 1940 while engaging a raid heading towards Weymouth, with 152 Sqn based at Warmwell and in 1942 his brother James Edward lost his life on 15 March 1942 in Spitfire Vb BL241 AZ-E of 234 Squadron based at Ibsley, he came down close to RAF Davidstow Moor in Cornwall. Richard is remembered at Runnymede and James Hogg is buried in Ringwood Cemetery in Hampshire.

Does anyone have any further information on either Richard M Hogg or James E Hogg that I can use in my article for the BBC?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by en830; 22nd August 2010 at 12:24.
    [COLOR="Red"]May Contain Nuts[/COLOR]

Thanks

Hi

According to After the Battle's book on The Battle of Britain 3rd edition. On 21 August 1940 P/O flying an Spitfire (no number given) was slightly damaged by return fire from a Do 17 west of the Needles at 4.50pm and returned to base. P/O R M Hogg was unhurt and the aircraft was repairable.

On the 25 August P/O R M Hogg was flying Spitfire R6810 and was shot down by enemy fighters over the channel at 5.30pm. The pilot is missing and the aircraft is lost.

On page 381 of the 3rd edition, there is a nice photo of P/O Richard Hogg lying on the grass smoking a pipe, it states it was taken some time in June 1940. You might want to contact After the Battle to get permission to use the photo.

After the Battle are based in London.

I hope this is of some use, and good luck with the article.

Regards,

John.