Thread: Halifax LW723, 10/11 April 1944

Thanks

Default Halifax LW723, 10/11 April 1944

Hi,
    Looking for Info on the loss of this Halifax which came down near Erches while on a raid to Tergnier, I can't find the cause of loss online. Of the crew 4 were killed, 1 taken POW and 2 evaded, one of the evaders was Air Bomber Henrey Thomas Jeffrey 1392693 who was awarded the MM - could anyone elaborate on how he won the MM? I guess its linked to his time as an evader with the Maquis.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alistair

Thanks

a/c hit by flak. Jeffrey picked up by Maquis,stayed Paris 1 mth., moved to Toulouse8/5/44, 13/5/44 train to Sarrancolin, Vallee d'Aure to walk over Pyrennes, on information area unoccupied. Captured at Railway station beaten up by Gestapo at Arrien.. Moved to Tarbes then St. Michel prison. Moved to Fresnes prison, Paris. 1/8/44 on train bound for Frankfurt, 2/8/44 undid handcuffs and escaped from toilet window, injured in fall but got help at Waville. 4/8/44 walked to Dommartin-la'-Chaussee. Stayed a week, 11/8/44 put in contact with Maquis and stayed with them at Vieville-en-Haye. 16/8/44 camp attacked and Jeffret took part in defence. Moved on to Hattonchatel, eventually ended up at Toul until liberated by US forces on 2/9/44.Helped Americans as liaison officer/interpreter until arriving back 10/9/44. (RAF Evaders - Oliver Clutton-Brock)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Larder View Post
    a/c hit by flak. Jeffrey picked up by Maquis,stayed Paris 1 mth., moved to Toulouse8/5/44, 13/5/44 train to Sarrancolin, Vallee d'Aure to walk over Pyrennes, on information area unoccupied. Captured at Railway station beaten up by Gestapo at Arrien.. Moved to Tarbes then St. Michel prison. Moved to Fresnes prison, Paris. 1/8/44 on train bound for Frankfurt, 2/8/44 undid handcuffs and escaped from toilet window, injured in fall but got help at Waville. 4/8/44 walked to Dommartin-la'-Chaussee. Stayed a week, 11/8/44 put in contact with Maquis and stayed with them at Vieville-en-Haye. 16/8/44 camp attacked and Jeffret took part in defence. Moved on to Hattonchatel, eventually ended up at Toul until liberated by US forces on 2/9/44.Helped Americans as liaison officer/interpreter until arriving back 10/9/44. (RAF Evaders - Oliver Clutton-Brock)
    Thanks John, just managed to get a similar write up from an extract from the Chorley book on 158 Squadron (I need to look for a copy to get rather than just having the extract). I guess I need to get his POW questionnaire for a bit more detail.

Thanks again

Alistair