Thread: Lancaster ED547, Berlin 29 December 1943

Thanks

Default Lancaster ED547, Berlin 29 December 1943

Looking for any information on this aircraft and its loss, I have just had the A705 for the Pilot Bruce Alexander Tait digitised, but it doesnt clarify the cause of loss - from the Middlebrook book on the Berlin Battle it says the Flak in Berlin claimed 1 kill but 2 aircraft were lost in the area (I guess ED547 is one of these with JB298)

Thanks

Alistair

Thanks

Alistair,
    20 aircraft were lost that night on the Berlin raid. Apart from the fact that Tait is buried in the 1939-45 War Cemetery in Berlin, have you any information confirming the loss of ED547 actually over Berlin?
    Bill.

Thanks

Hi,
    The A705 for Tait has the aircraft exploding over Gross Zeithen (Groszeithen I think), 3 bodies were found lying in the street of the town. Looking at a map this seems to be on the very edge of Berlin city (by Berlin Schonefeld airport) so not actually over the city but on its periphery.

Alistair

Edited to add there seems to be a Gross Zeithan North West of Berlin so I may be confusing the places

Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    Alistair,
    20 aircraft were lost that night on the Berlin raid. Apart from the fact that Tait is buried in the 1939-45 War Cemetery in Berlin, have you any information confirming the loss of ED547 actually over Berlin?
    Bill.
    Last edited by AB64; 22nd August 2010 at 22:28.

Thanks

Alistair,
    The raid approached Berlin from the SW, left the target area on a northerly heading for about 35-40 miles and then turned west, does that bring them anywhere near Gross Zeithan?
    Bill.

Thanks

Groszeithen (the s is the big German charachter S) is in the Southern edge of Berlin and looks to tie in with the area the stream would have hit the outer rim of the town - Gross Zeithen NW of Berlin is a bit West of the route shown in the Middlebrook book. I will look at the A705 again as it has coordinates but I couldnt get them to tie in with Berlin at all - they seemed to be Far into Eastern Europe when I tried them.

Thanks

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    Alistair,
    The raid approached Berlin from the SW, left the target area on a northerly heading for about 35-40 miles and then turned west, does that bring them anywhere near Gross Zeithan?
    Bill.

Thanks

I've had another look at the A705 for Tait, it has the Aircraft exploding over Gross Zeithen 8 miles South West of Berlin in the district of Tetlow (which is South West of Berlin) - wreckage was taken to Rangsdorf Airfield South of Berlin - this all ties in relatively well with the Groszeithan by Schonefeld Airport.

Alistair