Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beaufighter T4889, Feb 1942

Thanks

Default Re: Beaufighter T4889, Feb 1942

No worries Jeff.
    The following is not really related to the loss of T4889, although it may help towards researching the overall story of Brian’s wartime service.

I originally found reference to the Ju88 claim in an AWM file relating to Australians in Coastal Command. It was a hand written document transcribed from the RAF Squadron Operational Record Books. The Intel officer who wrote the document simply listed Smith, probably under the assumption it was the Australian Smith, but as mentioned before it is unclear in the ORB!

You may be interested to know your great-uncle was one of several Australians (RAAF) posted to 143 Sqn RAF in late 1941.

Oct 41
    Pilot – AR Parker (250), BB Smith (400296)

Nov 41
    Air Gunners - ER Crichter (402319), SF Miller (404783), PM Gleeson (400753), RJ Bateup (402914), NHR Hart (404915), OS Filmer (403091)

Dec 41
    Pilot – HJ Armour (402839), Air Gunner – VS Barnes (406324)

Most of the Air Gunners were posted out by Feb 1942. I assume this may have been part of the conversion from Blenheims to Beaufighters.

regards, Drew

Thanks

Jeff,

There is one other claim on 12th February 1942, you should consider:

12.2.42 - Ltn Alfred Wehmeyer - Stab III./ZG 26 - Blenheim - No Location- 16.22 - AAs C. 2031/I Anerk: R.d.L.

Now a Blenheim is not a Beaufighter, given. But the two were often misidentified by Luftwaffe pilots.

There is an interesting entry in the following publication:

Luftwaffe Aces Biographies and Victory Claims Vol 4, S-Z.
    Mathews,Andrew Johannes & John Foreman
    Walton-on-Thames:Red Kite,2014.
    p.1383.

Oberleutnant Alfred Wehmeyer (RK, + 1.6.1942 North Africa)

12.2.42 - III./ZG 26 - Lt - Blenheim - S. Helfer [sic] (probably South of Hal Far) - 1622 - A(frica) - 10th claim.

From, Malta The Spitfire Year/Shores, Cull & Malizia (pp.79-80).

Thursday, 12 February.

With the coming of dawn on the 12th three delivery Beaufighters had just reached a point between Pantelleria and Malta, when Bf109s from III/JG 53 approached, obviously scrambled when tell-tale blips appeared on German radar screens. One Beaufighter was shot down into the sea by Lt. Herbert Schramm - his 39th victory - the crew of T4879 [sic] being lost with their aircraft. A little later a second Beaufighter was lost when eight such aircraft, which had arrived and refuelled at Malta during the hours of darkness, departed for Egypt and were intercepted by a pair of far-ranging Bf110s from III./ZG 26. Lt Alfred Wehmeyer, another Luftwaffe 'Experte', raised his score to ten by despatching T4915 into the depths of the Mediterranean; again there were no survivors. Coincidentally, both German pilots identified their victims as Blenheims - probably an indication of the level of visibility during the winter period.

Re: Brian Barkley SMITH RAAF. Don't know if your aware of it, but Brian Smith embarked Sydney, aboard the "AORANGI", on 23.1.41, and proceeded to Canada as follows:

Sydney - Auckland** - Suva - Honolulu - Victoria, British Columbia (arrived 13.2.41) - Disembarking at Vancouver, B.C., on the 14.2.1941.

F/Sgt Harry Kenneth SPRASON RAFVR, the WOp./Air Gnr., on Smith's Beaufighter, still has his unit incorrectly listed as 145 Sqdn., at the CWGC. I contacted the CWGC back in January 2008, but did not have enough paperwork at the time to confirm his true unit (OADU). So no action!

* You will also find Wehmeyer on the aforememtioned cieldegloire site: http://www.cieldegloire.fr/zg_026.php

** 52 members of the RNZAF joined the "AORANGI", which departed Auckland on 30 January, 1941(FYT3/Martyn/p.592).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 20th May 2020 at 15:58.

Thanks

Hi Col,

That is very interesting.
    I suppose it is possible that perhaps either T4879 or T4915 could have in fact been Brian in T4889?
    I will look into these serials a little more to see if it can shed some light.
    Googling those numbers I found this interesting page where there is also some speculation as to T4889's fate - http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archiv...p?t-40763.html
    I am not 100% sure but I believe Brian was shot down on the way into Malta from Gibraltar.
    I have a letter here in Brians documents that contain an extract from a pilot that was asked about Brian who was the lead in his flight. From my memory it read that the flight lead claimed Brian was about 3km behind him when two Me109s flew past in the opposite direction and he lost visual on Brian as undertook a defensive manoeuvre.
    There was also an account from Malta that noted a Beaufighter flying out to sea over isola Filfla with 109's in chase.
    I will look these documents out again to make sure my memory serves.
    Thank you for taking the time to supply all that information it is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Jeff,

There is one other claim on 12th February 1942, you should consider:

12.2.42 - Ltn Alfred Wehmeyer - Stab III./ZG 26 - Blenheim - No Location- 16.22 - AAs C. 2031/I Anerk: R.d.L.

Now a Blenheim is not a Beaufighter, given. But the two were often misidentified by Luftwaffe pilots.

There is an interesting entry in the following publication:

Luftwaffe Aces Biographies and Victory Claims Vol 4, S-Z.
    Mathews,Andrew Johannes & John Foreman
    Walton-on-Thames:Red Kite,2014.
    p.1383.

Oberleutnant Alfred Wehmeyer (RK, + 1.6.1942 North Africa)

12.2.42 - III./ZG 26 - Lt - Blenheim - S. Helfer [sic] (probably South of Hal Far) - 1622 - A(frica) - 10th claim.

From, Malta The Spitfire Year/Shores, Cull & Malizia (pp.79-80).

Thursday, 12 February.

With the coming of dawn on the 12th three delivery Beaufighters had just reached a point between Pantelleria and Malta, when Bf109s from III/JG 53 approached, obviously scrambled when tell-tale blips appeared on German radar screens. One Beaufighter was shot down into the sea by Lt. Herbert Schramm - his 39th victory - the crew of T4879 [sic] being lost with their aircraft. A little later a second Beaufighter was lost when eight such aircraft, which had arrived and refuelled at Malta during the hours of darkness, departed for Egypt and were intercepted by a pair of far-ranging Bf110s from III./ZG 26. Lt Alfred Wehmeyer, another Luftwaffe 'Experte', raised his score to ten by despatching T4915 into the depths of the Mediterranean; again there were no survivors. Coincidentally, both German pilots identified their victims as Blenheims - probably an indication of the level of visibility during the winter period.

Re: Brian Barkley SMITH RAAF. Don't know if your aware of it, but Brian Smith embarked Sydney, aboard the "AORANGI", on 23.1.41, and proceeded to Canada as follows:

Sydney - Auckland** - Suva - Honolulu - Victoria, British Columbia (arrived 13.2.41) - Disembarking at Vancouver, B.C., on the 14.2.1941.

F/Sgt Harry Kenneth SPRASON RAFVR, the WOp./Air Gnr., on Smith's Beaufighter, still has his unit incorrectly listed as 145 Sqdn., at the CWGC. I contacted the CWGC back in January 2008, but did not have enough paperwork at the time to confirm his true unit (OADU). So no action!

* You will also find Wehmeyer on the aforememtioned cieldegloire site: http://www.cieldegloire.fr/zg_026.php

** 52 members of the RNZAF joined the "AORANGI", which departed Auckland on 30 January, 1941(FYT3/Martyn/p.592).

Col.