Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June 1942

Thanks

Default June 1942

Next batch

1. The following were lost on 9 June fron 1 (C) OTU at Silloth

SHIRLEY, DONALD WILLIAM (1167939) RAFVR - age 21
    JEFFERSON, ERNEST ALFRED (1376745) RAFVR - age 21

Does anyone know whether they were in Hudson II, T9374 or Hudson I, N7307?

2. 39 Sqn lost two Beauforts, AW297 and AW352 on 15 Jun, I have ABRAM, JAMES (100576) RAFVR - age 19 in AW297 and THOMAS, CHARLES STANLEY (37897) RAF - age 32 in AW352, can anyone allocte the remaining crew to specific aircraft?

EDGE, HUGH GREGORY (1014445) RAFVR - age 26
    BALLINGALL, NORMAN GRAY (1023721) RAFVR - age 22
    FLOCKHART, JOHN (1051161) RAFVR - age 22
    FOBISTER, GEORGE (1264777) RAFVR - age 31
    FOX, FREDERICK GEORGE (1268096) RAFVR - age 21
    BURROUGHS, NORMAN ARTHUR (1379231) RAFVR - age 21

3. According to TSGNO, RATHWELL, EDWARD EARL (R/82227) RCAF - age 21 was killed on 22 Jun flying Hurricane, LL723 but this was a Lancaster I, anyone know which aircraft he was flying?

4. On 23 Jun two Oxfords of 2 (P) AFU collided, R6075 and V3585 crewed by: -
    BURNSIDE, WALTER (R/105756) RCAF - age 19
    SNELL, RONALD FLETCHER (1262746) RAFVR - age 27

Who was flying in which?

5. DE SPIRLET, FRANCOIS XAVIER EGENOFF (82163) RAFVR - age Unknown of No 609 Sqn was probably killed in a collision between Typhoons R7710 and R7817, which was he flying?

All the best

Malcolm

Thanks

Hello Malcolm,

François de Spirlet was in Typhoon R7710 PR-E, Raymond Lallemant was in R7817 PR-D. This collision occured at Duxford. I quote from the form 540 of the Squadron ORB :

26th June 1942 : At 04:50 hours 10 pilots are at readiness. But nothing happens. At 06:00 F/L de Spirlet, P/O Ortmans and P/O Lallemand set off on formation practice. Immediately after the take-off F/L de Spirlet and P/O Lallemand collide, the latters A/C cutting off the formers tail. De Spirlet's aircraft plunges to the ground and explodes ; de Spirlet is killed. Lallemand manages somehow to land, and though his engine is torn from its frame, he only suffers from shock. After this shocking tragedy it is well that the Squadron remains busy.

[...]

Francois de Spirlet reached England with F/O Malengreau in 1940. After being assigned for a fortnight to a Wellington station, both went to 87 and 56 Squadrons in succession. Taking some part in the Battle of Britain. As P/Os they came to 609 with the first batch of Belgians in April 1941. After being twice shot down, and shooting down 2 Me-109’s, Francois succeeded F/L Richey as ‘A’ Flight Commander in August. Since then, and especially since the death of F/L Offenberg in January, he had in almost every way become the rock of the Squadron, administratively, technically and socially, and he was always the one to whom people referred when they wanted anything done. The most impartial of the Belgians, he understood English humour and ways of thinking the best, while his own ironic humour was always a delight to everyone. As a leader, and as a friend, Francois will be hard to replace. Gloomily in the evening the squadron betakes itself to Sawston College for its dance. This turns out to be good psychological medicine. Some 300 persons are present, including some ‘sophomores’ of the college and F/L William de Goat, who becomes the cynosure of the evening ; and though the Officers are permitted by the Headmaster (with some persuasion) to have a bar, the Airmen somehow seem to manage so well that when 2 policemen endeavour to investigate the proceedings they are turned away by the Adj and F/Sgt Abraham for not having a warrant. In the Officers bar the beer is in whisky bottles, with the resulting contretemps that some people are served nips of beer, with soda added, others tumblers of neat whisky. After the party is over there is a continuation for some at the houses of the Station Commander and F/O Tidmarsh (Intell 266). Arrival today as supernumerary adjutant of F/O Westcott, a man of much experience in Norway and West Africa. Receives the OBE for his services a few days later."

The form 541 only records ops on 30th June 1942. Serial numbers quoted from "The story of 609 Squadron under the white rose" by Frank H. ZIEGLER, who was the Intelligence Officer at the time.

A few years ago, we dedicated a bench for François de Spirlet at Duxford, in the pub (I can't remember the name right now). This ceremony and the bench were organised by Mark Crame. We would have liked to put it in the I.W.M. but the Squadron association couldn't find an agreement about the style of bench, etc..., so it was located elsewhere.

Joss

Thanks

Many thanks Joss, an excellent answer

Malcolm

Thanks

Default Rathwell

Rathwell was with 175 Sq. and they lost Hurricane HL723 on this day:

"Crashed in sea while practicing dive bombing on MTB."

John
    Last edited by JohnE; 26th August 2010 at 19:41.

Thanks

Thanks John

Thanks

Malcolm,
    This is what I've in my files:
    SHIRLEY and JEFFERSON on N7307.
    SNELL on R6075.
    BURNSIDE on V3585 (P/O [Pilot] J.J. JAGGER survived).
    Problems with the Beaufighters: besides AW297 and AW352 39 Sqn also lost:
    AW337 - damaged by Flak and crashlanded Luqa;
    DD949 - damaged by Bf 109s near Derna and crashlanded Sidi Barrani; DBR.
    DD955 - damaged by Bf 109s off Derna and crashlanded in desert.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Many thanks Henk

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm,
    "Beaufighters" as mentioned in my respons self-evidently must be "Beaufort". I've an unconfirmed note on file that THOMAS, BALLINGALL, FLOCKHART and FOBISHER may have been on AW352; this means that ABRAM, BURROUGHS, EDGE and FOX must have been on AW297. It seems that there is a document in the NAA archives that Ballingall's body was found washed ashore 10 km E of Sidi Barrani en locally buried. Forgot to make an annotation in whose file I found this document.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk,

Information has been received from the Air Ministry that according to a German official list, the undermentioned airman, previously reported missing ex-39 Sqdn, on 15th June,1942 was found dead on the shore 10 KM East of Sidi Barrani, and was buried at Sidi Barrani, no dates given. He is now reclassified Missing Believed Killed. Next of Kin have been informed.

1023721 Sgt. BALLINGALL B.G. W. Op. AG.

See the A705 file of AUS403458 George Douglas STEVENS RAAF p.56 of 82

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 28th August 2010 at 11:54.

Thanks

Thanks Col, now took notice in my files of NAA source.
    Rgards,
    Henk.