Thread: Mosquito XVI, MM135 crash Park Farm Old Warden, 26 Aug 1944

Thanks

Default Mosquito XVI, MM135 crash Park Farm Old Warden, 26 Aug 1944

ooking for further info on the crash of a 692 Sqn Mosquito XVI MM135, at Park Farm, Old Warden 26 August 1944.

Pilot was Sqn Ldr Walter Douglas Wilberforce Bird
    Navigator Sgt Francis William Hudson

The aircraft left Gransden Lodge at 21.55 and crashed at Old Warden at 02.45. According to Chorley, this was due to pilot misreading his altimeter.
    [COLOR="Red"]May Contain Nuts[/COLOR]

Thanks

Mosquito Crash Log says "26.08.44 692 Sqn. MM135 Crashed with both engines running at Park Farm, Old Warden, Beds., five miles from aerodrome at a shallow angle, cause was probably a mis-reading of the altimeter."

Thanks

40361 Squadron Leader Bird was my uncle, my mother's brother. I was born in 1949 so never knew him. I asked the old forum if anyone had any info and someone from Jersey came back saying he must have had some connection with the island because he is mentioned there. His parents, my grandparents, lived in Jersey and were evacuated in 1940 to England. My mother's eldest sister lived at Worsting outside Basingstoke, hence the reason WDWB ism buried there.

Thanks

William

According to a family tree on ancestry.co.uk, he was born in Chile, in 1916.

There's a passenger manifest, also on ancestry, with him aged 3 and his parents William Norvell Wilberforce Bird, aged 44 and Ruth Bird, aged 32, travelling to Chile from Avonouth on February 10th 1920 on the T.S.S. Coronado of Elders & Fyffes Ltd.

His father's occupation is listed as Manager of Nitrate Works. Country of Last Permament Residnce is given as 'Foreign Countries" and the Country of Intended Future Permanent Residence is given as Republic of Chile.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks Simon. My grandfather was manager of a nitrate mine in Chile and all their four children including my mother were born out there. But nitrate crashed in about 1928 and the grandparents came back to England. My grandfather William Norvell Wilberforce Bird had been at school in Jersey and since neither he nor my grandmother Ruth who was half Chilean knew England at all, they went to live in Jersey. Walter left Chile before his parents. During WW2 the grandparents lived in Worting with their eldest daughter and her husband Jan Kent who ran the RNAS at Worthydown and then returned to Jersey in 1946.

Thanks

Out of curiosity I've looked at the met situation for the night; there was high pressure over the area, with sea level pressure being of the order of 1025 - 1026 mb, light winds and less than half cover of stratocumulus between 3000 and 4000 ft agl. Although mist formed later, visibility at the time was of the order of 12 miles. It's difficult to see what cause was probably a misreading of the altimeter means, unless it's implying the pilot had omitted to switch from FQNH to Old Warden's QFE (airfield pressure) - which should have been passed to the aircraft during its approach.

It would be interesting to know what the F1180 has to say.

Brian

Thanks

Thanks Brian. I am not a flier, its just that he was my uncle. Clearly though still young he had experience and I just wonder if like many others he was just absolutely exhausted?