Thread: 23 Sqn - 754958 Sgt L.S. LOVERIDGE 1940

Thanks

Default 23 Sqn - 754958 Sgt L.S. LOVERIDGE 1940

I am making a plea for solving a conundrum I have with the above NCO pilot, considered by many to be a Battle of Britain pilot but disregarded by the compilers of all books on the subject.
    Sgt Loveridge joined No. 23 Sqn (Blenheims) from No. 5 O.T.U. on 18 August 1940 and remained with the squadron until 31 December 1940 - this according to his Form 543 Record of Service. In 1947 he was awarded the Battle of Britain clasp along with his other stars and medals - I have a letter from MOD Air of 2004 confirming these issues. So why no acceptance by various authorities on his status as being "One of the Few"? Apparently, there is incomplete and inaccurate list of pilots of Fighter Command which gives Loveridge's posting to No 23 as 7 November 1940, that is one week after the battle ended and nearly three months after the date stated on his Form 543. It would appear that the AHB have made no attempt to cross-check with this ORBs for August to November 1940 - not a difficult task I would have thought.
    If there is good reason to say after all these years that the date of posting on his records is incorrect and that the Air Ministry made an error in 1947, then such reason escapes me. I am hoping that one of our members can confirm whether or not this pilot was with 23 Sqn from the earlier date and that he made at least one operational sortie before 31 October 1940. HELP.

Kind regards

Jim

Thanks

Jim,
    Just got in from work, quick cup of tea then have to pick missus up from work, as soon as i get back i'll check the ORB.
    Cheers........Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 26th August 2010 at 20:04.

Thanks

Jim,
    According to the 23sqdn ORB, Loveridge flew first with them on 5th November, when he took part in a searchlight co-operation excercise with two other a/c. His next flight was the same on 7th November. Nothing for him prior to this.
    Alan.

Thanks

Alan,

Very many thanks for your speedy response - exceptional really. The facts set out are slightly disappointing but there it is ......... Again, many thanks.

Regards

Jim