Thread: August 1942

Thanks

Default August 1942

Next batch of queries?

1. two Spitfires, BL859 and AA868, of 412 Sqn collided on 5 Aug, the pilots were: -

KOELLHOFFER, GEORGE THOMAS (J/9281) RCAF - age 23
    LUXTON, JOHN DAVID (R/84223) RCAF - age 22

but who was flying which?

2. HANLY, GERARD JOSEPH Gp Capt, RAF - age 42 was kiled on 6 Aug, he was a medical officer in Iraq but was also a pilot, one obituary I've found states he was killed whilst flying, doese anyone have any details?

3. According to TSGNO, PIGERHAM, HARRY CHARLES (1320030) RAFVR - age 26 LAC, was killed in Battle 5427 but checking Bill Walkers site I see it is a Hurricane, does anyone know the aircraft he was in?

4. WIGSTON, WILLIAM CHARLES (J17606) RCAF - age 21 Plt Off was shot down on 25 Aug in, according to TSGNO, ZB445 of 274 Sqn, which is clearly wrong but Z8445 is a black-out block, anyone know whathe was flying?

5. Mustang I, AM215 and AG554 of 26 Sqn collided on 26 Aug and the two pilots were: -

MANSON, JAMES ALEXANDER (122423) RAFVR - age 23
    KELLY, JAMES FREDERICK (49745) RAFVR - age 24

but which was in which?

All the best

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm,
    http://www.essex.police.uk/memorial/ww2_pig.htm :

Harry Charles Pigerham - Essex County Constabulary.
    Served from 13th June 1938. Killed on 14th August 1942.
    Police Constable Harry Charles Pigerham was the son of Harry and Phoebe C. Pigerham, of Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire. He was born on 4th March 1916 in Highgate, London. Harry joined Essex County Constabulary on 13th June 1938, having previously worked as a radio salesman for Curry Limited of Bishop's Stortford.
    His first posting after Headquarters' training was to Grays from 6th August 1938. He moved to Tilbury from 1st January 1939, and then worked at Romford from 5th August 1939, and finally Chelmsford from 4th December 1939.
    He joined the R.A.F. on 11th August 1941 and was one of six men killed during training to be Observers at Picton, in Ontario, Canada on Monday, Friday, 14th August 1942 whilst serving as Leading Aircraftman (Cadet) 1320030 with Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. He was aged 26.

and: www.trentonian.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=2172878
    (...)
    Two more Royal Air Force airmen were buried in Glenwood Cemetery, in August, 1942. The Leading Aircraftsmen (LACs) Harry Charles Pigerham, a native of England and David Noel Jones, a native of Wales, were killed when their Fairey Battle Bomber crashed at Soup Harbour, near Point Petre. A third airman, who also died in the crash, Sgt. Pilot Blythe Kempton-Werchia, 21, of the Royal New Zealand Air Force was buried in Ottawa.
    (...)

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hi Mojmir

Thanks for that, it allowed me to check Errol's FYT and it was although L5427, which I'd actually looked at but couldn't find it originally

Malcolm

Thanks

Battle L5427 was with No. 31 Bombing & Gunnery School at Picton, Ontario when it crashed at Picton aerodrome at 10:50 on 14 August 1942, 2 fatalities, student gunners LAC D.N. Jones, RAF and LAC H.C. Pigerham, RAF. Pilot Sgt. L. Greenwood survived.

My info is from RCAF Aircraft History Card, no mention of Sgt. Kempton-Werchia, but the Cards have been wrong before. What we need is the Daily Diary of the School, which I don't have. The mention of 6 killed in the newspaper makes me think there may have been a second aircraft involved. Soup Harbour is 8 miles south-west of Picton aerodrome, could have been a collision with one aircraft making it back to Picton.

Thanks

Default Aug 42 - RCAF

Koellhoffer was flying AA868 and Luxton t'other one.

Source is "They Shall Grow Not Old"

O-R

Thanks

Thanks O-R

I missed that in TSGNO

Malcolm

Thanks

Default And Another Thing!!!

Wigston was flying Hurricane BP445.

It was one of three aircraft from the same squadron lost in a melee with Bf 109s, whilst attacking enemy armoured vehicles. The other two were: BP693 and BN109. All were Mk IIBs.

Another aircraft: BE398 was damaged by AA fire and crashed landed in the desert.

Hope this helps.

O-R

Thanks

Indeed it does, thank you

Malcolm