Thread: Glider Tow Ropes

Thanks

Default Glider Tow Ropes

Was watching something on the Discovery channel which included a view from the cockpit of a Horsa just at the point when they disengaged from the Stirling towing it.

My question is, what happened to the tow rope. Was it also dropped by the towing aircraft or was it wound in? I assume it wasn't left dangling whilst the aircraft returned and landed.

If it was wound back in, what sort of mechanism was involved and has anyone seen any pics?

cheers
    A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Hi Amrit,

The tow rope was dropped by the towing aircraft after the Glider cast off. If possible the best way was to drop the rope in the sea if possible.
    By example, in a 38 Group Squadron ORB it is written that the rope was detached over German lines and after it is added 'we hope!'
    An other example, some ropes were found by local habitants in Normandy after D-Day and have been used by them. One is now in the Airborne Museum near Pegasus Bridge.
    Bruno LECAPLAIN
    Raf WWII 38 Group Squadrons Reunited <www.raf38group.org>
    Stirling Aircraft Society <stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org>

Thanks

My father said that there was often worry when dropping tow ropes on training flights in case they hit someone or something important such as a railway line or telegraph wires. Care was taken to choose a remote place if at all possible - usually over the Salisbury Plain somewhere.

Thanks

Thank you both for your replies. Most illuminating. Was just one of things that I had never considered before.

cheers
    A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/