Thread: B-26 Marauder crashed at Mill 21st March 1945

Thanks

Default B-26 Marauder crashed at Mill 21st March 1945

Hi

Does any one have info on a B-26 Marauder that crashed on Mill airfield on 21st March 1945?
    35 ORB noted... “Flying was suspended for a time late morning whilst a Marauder which had spread itself over the runway was removed.”

Cheers Motherbird

Thanks

Hello,

That would need to be checked / confirmed by someone else, but this Marauder may be Martin B26G-20-MA serial number 44-68103, coded KX-T, of 387th B.G., 558th B.S. This loss is the subject of Missing Air Crew Report # 13229.

May be there's a forumite who has it, or may access it through footnote or else (I've never been able to work my way in this website). There are also paying sites in the US which can sell copies, or you can get it from the National Archives and Records Administration, but they have raised their price last time I ordered a few MACRs (almost 400 % increase !).

Joss

Thanks

Hi, Joss

in the listings of : http://www.archives.gov/research/microfilm/m1380.pdf

maybe there´s missing the macr-file #13229

Listed under Fiche 4816 is : MACR # 13228 to MACR # 13230

Or it´s included in this, means that there are 3 MACR in one file.

Regards, Rainer

Thanks

Hello Rainer,

That's usually the case, when they were on microfiche (not so long ago), there used to be up to 3 MACRs on a microfiche. Sometimes they were small ones (not many pages for each, especially for fighters), so the microfiche was partly empty. On the contrary some MACRs contains a large number of pages, so there is only two on them on the fiche, and I even have one microfilm which contains only one MACR, because there's a lot of pages in it.

Joss

Thanks

Joss,

The B-26 you mention crashed at Laag-Keppel in the east of the Netherlands, between Doesburg and Doetinchem. I believe that area was still occupied in April 1945, so the B-26 could hardly have blocked an RAF runway.

On the other hand, the nimh.nl loss register gives another for that date: B-26, 43-34218 of the 1st Pathfinder Squadron as being lost at Helmond airfield.
    For Mill airfield the register gives no specific B-26 accidents, only Mustang, Spitfire and Typhoon.
    This provided if Mill airfield as in the question can be identified as B-89.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Don't think it's the 387th BG aircraft:

"On March 19th two targets were bombed on the same mission. A formation composed entirely of 387th planes covered the Vossen railroad bridge and a formation of 344th and 387th aircraft bombed Seigen, this time visually, with excellent results. On March 21st an attack on Coesfeld railroad junction was made. It was an important link on the rail line east of the Ruhr and was made in the face of moderate accurate flak. Lieutenant George B. Fallon’s aircraft’s right engine was damaged by flak and he feathered it. It was only 20 minutes flying time to friendly lines. He never made it. He and his crew were reported as missing. Both engines had suffered flak damage and eventually all of the crew bailed out. One gunner evaded with the Dutch underground, the rest were POWs."

The only accidents I can find listed for England (it *is* England we're talking about?) on that date are two B-17s, at Bury St. Edmunds and Rattlesden.

Edit - Re: the Helmond Incident: "-86 at Helmond, Holland was a temporary RAF-base for 182 Squadron (Typhoon fighters): http://www.rcaf.com/jackson/prepb86.html

Today it is far more peaceful: http://www.rcaf.com/jackson/b86.html

According to the info I have available, this was 1/Lt. Ralp Warren Miller's 48th Pathfinder mission on March 21st 1945.

It was a 387th BG mission. He departed from A-72 (Peronne), but had a landing at RAF fighter base B-86, as his ship,
    # 218, had been hit by flak which killed one crewmember an injured another. Those were left at this base before return flight to A-72. I have not found any records of a crash." http://forum.armyairforces.com/LtMiller-crash-in-HollandB26G-m95842.aspx
    Last edited by mhuxt; 30th August 2010 at 11:39.

Thanks

Hello Leendert,

This is why in my initial message I wrote "may be". Generally speaking, MACRs were filed for losses in occupied countries, and accidents reports for crashes in liberated countries (on the continent obviously), in the US or in UK.

So may be checking this site with the said date might give some clues :

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/db.asp

Joss

Thanks

An old post on the forum:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/18479.html

and many other google returns gives B.89 to be Mill.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Only incidents I can find on the Accident Report site for March 1945 in Holland are all at Venlo..

Not a USAAF aircraft?

Thanks

Hello,

Perhaps "Motherbird" could give more background info ?

If identification is correct, a USAAF Marauder is very likely. The R.A.F. and S.A.A.F. used them only in the MTO, operationnally speaking. A machine kept in UK in a testing unit or the like could fit the bill, but I think the rarity of the type with roundels in UK would have resulted in people knowing about it.

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/dbadate.asp?thedate=450321&Submit2=Go&offset=0
    not the first page, but the following ones, shows various possibilities, but none clearly situated at B.89 Mill.

So, if not a Marauder, a Douglas A-26 Invader ? For a unit diarist not well informed or not caring very much about his duty, a confusion is possible.

Joss