Thread: Czech Awards

Paul Smith Guest

Default Czech Awards

I found an obituary in our local paper which said that P/O Paul Friedlaender of 311 Sqn. was awarded the Czech Gallantry Medal a month before he was killed. Paul died on 29th Sept 1942.
    I know that his niece has the medal bar but I can find no record of the award being presented.
    Are there any records, books which may help?

Thanks

Default Czech awards

Do his medals include this particular award ? The entry in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission on-line record does not mention it and although I do not claim infallibility, I find no London Gazette reference to his being awarded this honour.

I posted a list of Czech awards on the old Forum and will republish it on the revised Research side of this site.

Thanks

Hi Paul,

there are no English records about Czechoslovak awards. I can check it in Czech sources.

Pavel

Thanks

Default Czech Awards

A small correction - there are some documents respecting Czech awards to RAF personnel (the subject of this query) and respecting British awards to Czech personnel. The relevant files at Kew are:

AIR 2/6123 DECORATIONS, MEDALS, HONOURS AND AWARDS (Code B, 30): Award of Czechoslovak decorations to R.A.F. personnel 1940-1946

AIR 2/9347 DECORATIONS, MEDALS, HONOURS AND AWARDS (Code B, 30): Czechoslovak awards to RAF, January 1945 to January 1948 1945-1957

AIR 2/9535 FOREIGN AND ALLIED AIR FORCES (Code B, 92): Award of British decorations to Czechoslovak Air Force Personnel 1941 Mar-1943 Jan

Thanks

You are right Hugh my sentence was not exactly correct - there are no documents about Czechoslovak awards to Czechoslovak Air Force Personnel :-)

Paul Smith Guest

Default Paul (Pavel) Friedlaender 311 Sqn.

Quote Originally Posted by HughAHalliday View Post
    A small correction - there are some documents respecting Czech awards to RAF personnel (the subject of this query) and respecting British awards to Czech personnel. The relevant files at Kew are:

AIR 2/6123 DECORATIONS, MEDALS, HONOURS AND AWARDS (Code B, 30): Award of Czechoslovak decorations to R.A.F. personnel 1940-1946

AIR 2/9347 DECORATIONS, MEDALS, HONOURS AND AWARDS (Code B, 30): Czechoslovak awards to RAF, January 1945 to January 1948 1945-1957

AIR 2/9535 FOREIGN AND ALLIED AIR FORCES (Code B, 92): Award of British decorations to Czechoslovak Air Force Personnel 1941 Mar-1943 Jan
    Many thanks. I will try Kew
    Regards Paul

Paul Smith Guest

Default Pavel Friedlaender

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_RAF View Post
    Hi Paul,

there are no English records about Czechoslovak awards. I can check it in Czech sources.

Pavel
    Thanks Pavel. I would appreciate your help again. The article in the paper, and the fact that the family have the medal ribbon bar seem to confirm that Pavel was awarded the Gallantry Medal but what for? I have not been able to have your book translated yet. Do you mention any action or operation that Pavel was involved with just before he died. You can email me on my home email address.

Regards Paul

Thanks

No luck with finding any record he got the CGM.

Check your email for more info.

Pavel