Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustang FD564 26 Nov 1944

Thanks

Default Mustang FD564 26 Nov 1944

In 2nd TAF Vol. 2 (Shores & Thomas) it says that on 26 Nov 1944 Mustang 1A FD564 of 268 Squadron with F/L H.A. Wilton was hit by Flak over Dunkirk and crashlanded in Allied territory.

On Joe Baugher's USAAF serial website it gives that this former P-51 41-37466 came down in Belgium after Flak damage and was later SOC.

Who has details about the location where the Mustang ended up?

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Leendert

It seems the a/c crashed in France but was written off in Belgium?

F/Lt Hill and F/Lt Wilton were operating in the Dunkerque area on this day. Wilton was hit by flak and apparently made a forced landing "8 miles SE of Dunkirk". The a/c was picked up by 416RSU and initially declared CatB but subsequently written off on 15Jan45. 416RSU had moved into B.56 Brussels/Evere on 10Oct44.

This info partly derives from research by Colin Ford 268 Sqn historian who is not at home at the moment.

Steve

PS I have just returned from a very enjoyable short vist to Antwerpen.

Thanks

Steve,

Thanks for the info. It very looks like it was France instead of Belgium after all....

Regards,

Leendert

PS Brugge is worth a visit as well!

Thanks

Hello,

I have unfortunately nothing to offer on this one. Can't tell whether she came down in France or Belgium. I haven't come across a police or gendarmerie report about it, but this isn't a proof it didn't occur. On that day I only have a German four-engined place which was lost during a trip to Dunkirk besieged garrison.

Dunkirk's defense were still very accurate, and accounted for a few allied aircraft from time to time. I have already seen 416 R&SU ORB in the past, but didn't picture it at the time. May be the information was in it, but it they had moved to Belgium by then, I was probably not interested anymore, limiting myself to northern France.

I hope Colin Ford might be able to add to this.

Joss

Thanks

Joss

The 268 Sqn ORB indicates that the reconnaissance was in a tight area. Using http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-welcome.php the co-ordinates come out as Coudekerke > Teteghem > Uxem > Warhem.

Leendert

We have been to Brugge and yes it is a very nice place to visit.

Steve

Thanks

Hello Steve,

These four villages are all in France, even if some names sounds / are Flemish. But the Mustang may have flown a little and crash-landed outside this perimeter. With a little luck, in the future, I may come across a French report about this one. But I've usually been quite unlucky with Dunkirk area at the time of the siege.

Joss

Thanks

35 Wing HQ ORB records... Flt/Lt Wilton force-landed near Dunkirk
    (Fl/Lt's name very difficult to read)

Cheers Motherbird

Thanks

Joss,

In a book about crashes in the Pas-de-Calais region there's a story about a (still?) unidentified RAF Mustang that crashed near Witternesse in late 1944, if I recall rightly. Only a picture with three local men, a belly landed Mustang and what seems to be a "J" in the code.
    I wonder if this case is related to it?

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Hello,

In the case of this picture, what is sure is the location, the village of Witternesse, not far from Aire-sur-la-Lys (roughly between St Omer and Béthune). Alas the 3 men on the pictures are hiding the serial number ! They are both deceased, and we couldn't find any local statement strong enough to date the event and identify this Mustang. I suggested two possibilities, but these were in the first days of September.

So to my opinion definitively not FD564, geographically speaking.

Joss

Thanks

I agree Witternesse seems too far away and in the wrong direction from the info that we have. On 26Nov44 268Sqn had just moved to Gilze-Rijen so if Wilton was making any kind of attempt to get back to base he would have been heading East or NE?

Colin Ford's research suggests that FD564 was coded 'N'.

Steve