Thread: O/T Errol are you okay?

Thanks

Default O/T Errol are you okay?

Most of you will know that there has been a really nasty earthquake in Christchurch New Zealand, just wondering if Errol is okay as it is quite a "war zone" down there.

Dyan

Thanks

Dyan,

Yes he's here safe and sound.

Along with the rest of Christchurch I was woken by the severe shaking at 4.35 a.m. By the time I had struggled in the dark to get out of a bed that was moving around like an out of control flight simulator the worse shock was almost over, though dozens of aftershocks have followed since. All this time there was one hell of a lot of noise from the quake itself and from lots of stuff moving around on shelves and the like, and the tumbling down of files, books, etc. Otherwise only a broken or chipped cup and glass or two. Some have been less lucky, with large scale destruction of house contents as items tumbled off shelves and out of cupboards, etc.

I live inthe NW part of the city, which seems to have got off fairly lightly, unlike some of the eastern suburbs which have suffered burst water mains and sewage piping and other damage and are still without power or running water.

It was just as well the quake was in the early morning hours before workers and shoppers got into town - bound to have been some fatals, I fear, had it occurred later in the day. And at least the weather is nice for those faced with cleaning up outside.

Still getting gently bumped around with aftershocks as I type these words!

Errol

Thanks

Default So glad

Hi Errol

So glad you are safe, our family is all down there, SIL who is 80+ and a widow is scared witless, she is in Ilam but safe, others in New Brighton, Rangiora, Culverden and Woodside not so lucky. If we had sold last month we would have been down there now - someone was looking after us - we were looking at Darfield and Rangiora - might change our minds now!!!

Keep safe.

Dyan

Thanks

Dyan,

I am located on the border of Ilam/Avonhead, as it happens, one of the least affected parts of the city. Still getting aftershocks as the earth calms down but these are little more than gentle rumblings and bumping compared to the Big One. I've not heard anything about Rangiora but nearby Kaiapoi appears to have been really hard hit.

Errol

Thanks

Good to hear from you Errol and happy that everything is o.k.

Henk.

Thanks

Errol, I am pleased to hear you have come through safely. I imagine it does feel a bit like living in a war zone. I may soon be feeling your ongoing wobbles for myself, as my family and I are supposed to be visiting Christchurch next Friday for a holiday! It is very hard to know what to do about this, as everything on the news looks so dreadful, and yet the tourist operators are all saying business as usual! I know they have livings to make, but it does seem a bit inappropriate to be jaunting about when you see all the poor people whose houses have fallen down.

Hope things stay OK for you. Looks like a long-term rebuilding effort lies ahead.

Thanks

Natalie,

Bear in mind that about 80% or more of the city is operating as per normal and and any damage therein minimal. It's some of the eastern suburbs down by the water or on reclaimed land, and mainly old brick buildings in the CBD built prior to WWII that have taken the brunt of the quake.

I guess there could still be a few aftershocks taking place when you arrive on Friday, but these are nothing like as severe or as long lasting as the Big One on the 4th.

Errol

Thanks

Default High winds

Errol
    I forgot to ask in my PM on Wings over NZ how did the gale force winds affect you? Hope not greatly. I see the Air Force Museum at Wigram survived with no great problems.

Natalie Have a good holiday in CHR I am sure you will be looked after really well by those very friendly Kiwis-I was.

Dee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie2620 View Post
    Errol
    I forgot to ask in my PM on Wings over NZ how did the gale force winds affect you? Hope not greatly.
    Dee
    Dee,

Barely noticed them, they did not eventuate in anything like the forecasted strength, not in the city here anyway.

Errol

Thanks

Natalie,
    Hope you get this in time, fear not, the good people of the South Island will look after you for sure.
    From an Aucklander,
    Digger.