Thread: looking for a few first names, No. 222 Squadron

Thanks

Default looking for a few first names, No. 222 Squadron

Hello,

I'm looking for the first names of a few pilots of No. 222 Squadron, who took part in Ramrod S16 on 31st August 1943. I've been able to find 9 out of 12 (London Gazette, Aces High, Those Other Eagles,...) but these ones evade me :

Flying Officer E.D. Whalen
    Flying Officer H.L. Stuart
    Sergeant R. Nairn

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

looks like Whalen is the same chap i had trouble finding a while ago. See my old thread:

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=11643&forum=DCForumI D6&archive=yes

Do you know any details of his time with 222 Sqn? When he joined/left etc.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks

Hello Tom,

I've read the thread, and also the one from the warbirdexchange. May be Paul McMillan has new details about him.

I only have a few pages of No. 222 Squadron, a couple for August and September 1943.

F/O E.D. Whalen flew Spitfire IX MH390 on 31st August 1943 (Ramrod S16), didn't take part in the afternoon mission (Ramrod S17), and flew in MH371 on 4th September (Ramrod S31), then in MH496 on 8th September 1943 (Circus S1).

So I get things right, to summarize, he was an American who joined the R.A.F. (not the R.C.A.F.), did his flying training, ending through No. 5(P) AFU and No. 61 OTU, then was posted to No. 222 Squadron, and was transfered to U.S.A.A.F. in the fall of 1943, or early in 1944. He lost his life with 4th F.G. on 6th March 1944.

The 12 Squadron's pilots taking part in this mission were really an international band : English pilots obviously, but also a Canadian, a South Africaner, a New-Zealander, two Free French, and now an American. There was a Czech pilot in the Squadron, but he didn't take part in this ops.

Joss

Thanks

Phil,

Your Stuart appears to be:

NZ415385 Sgt Herbert Leonard Stuart,
    Born Glentunnel 1 Apr 16
    Enlisted as AP u/t 10 Sep 41
    Graduated as a pilot in New Zealand
    Embarked 'Stirling Castle' for UK and attachment to the RAF on 13 Apr 42
    Disembarked Liverpool 17 May 42
    Commissioned 10 Jan 43 (from Sgt)
    Fg Off 10 Jul 43
    Flt Lt 10 Jan 45
    Reserve 8 Oct 45

Errol

Thanks

Hello Errol,

Thanks for this identification. I had identified Thomas Wyllie, also R.N.Z.A.F., who flew that mission too.

Joss

PS : Glad to see you're OK. I remember David Gunby was also living in Christchurch (10 years ago). If he's still living there, do you know if he's OK following the earthquake ? Sorry to ask in the wrong thread.

Thanks

Default Whalen

Hello Joss,

1/Lt Edmund D. Whalen was posted to 4 FG/334 FS on 18 Nov 1943 and he was KIA on 6 March 44 flying P-51B, 43-6899, AM-OLC. Crashed in Nienburg Germany area at about 1350 hrs. His a/c hit by debris of his exploding Me110 kill. A back pack chute was seen to open in vicinity.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Rob

PS
    There as another Whalen also flying in the very same unit: 2/Lt William E. Whalen. From 12 July 44 to 15 Sep 44 transfer to 355 FG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    PS : Glad to see you're OK. I remember David Gunby was also living in Christchurch (10 years ago). If he's still living there, do you know if he's OK following the earthquake ? Sorry to ask in the wrong thread.
    Joss,

Yes, David also safe and well, and has suffered practically no damage. We both live in the NW of the city, which was among the least affected. The people who were really hard hit are those in the eastern suburbs close to the water, where there was a good deal of liquefaction of the ground, much of which is very sandy.

Errol

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks Rob for the date of transfer of Edmund Whalen to 4th F.G.. No idea of the middle name ?

Errol, good news that David is fine too.

Joss

Thanks

Default Whalen

Hello Joss,

See: http://www.wwiimemorial.com/registry/cemetery/search/pframe.asp?HonoreeID=677929&popcount=3&tcount=3

alas no middle name...

Best regards,
    Rob