Thread: Chorley versus ORB

Thanks

Default Chorley versus ORB

Hi,
    Whilst attempting to help out on another forum, i have come across a bit of a puzzle which i would like some views on.
    For 23/24th Sept 44, Chorley has 61sqdn as going to Ladbergen (Dortmund Ems Canal), whereas the 61sqdn ORB (Summeries and Details of Work) clearly states Munster as the nights target, adding to this, BC War Diaries has 1 Lancaster lost for Munster, yet 61sqdn alone, lost 4 ?
    Any thoughts.....Maybe Errol, 2 RNZAF lost on ND988. Cenotaph Database Auckland also states Munster.
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 5th September 2010 at 07:41.

Thanks

alan,

Campbell's RNZAF papers show 'Dortmund'.

Miln's show 'Dortmund-ems-Canal at Munster'.

The canal runs through Munster and alongside nearby Ladbergen.

The raid may have been aimed at cutting the canal at more than one point in the general area of Munster-Ladbergen?

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol,
    Thanks for the input, it's just that i thought that if Chorley used the ORB's, amongst other files, to create his work, why did he not go for what is recorded in the 61sqdn ORB, which is Munster?..........

aah!, it'#s right under my nose, just looked at Chorley's a bit closer and you're right, Chorley's 50sqdn entry says, tasked to breach canal just North of Munster, further confirmed by entry in 50sqdn ORB, Munster, Dortmund Ems Canal. Case closed, although Ladbergen and Munster clearly a distance apart.
    Regards.......Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 5th September 2010 at 11:58.