Thread: Hurricane Forced Landing, Rotherfield, Susse

Thanks

Default Hurricane Forced Landing, Rotherfield, Susse

Hi.

Been talking to a farmer who sat in this aircraft, a Hurricane which force landed at Town Row, Rotherfield in Sussex on 26-10-40

Please can anyone identify pilot or a/c for us?

Dave

Thanks

F/O C W Passy
    P3737

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi David,

From Norman Franks Fighter Command Losses Vol 1:
    Hurricane P3737 of 605 Squadron. Aircraft written off in forced landing at Marks Cross, Sussex after engine problem while chasing an ME109.

I happen to have an interest in Passy as he was stationed at Tern Hill with the Squadron during April 1941. Here are some very basic notes i made on him a few years ago (They're quite patchy i'm afraid!):

F/O Cyril Wolrich (also seen spelt Walrick/Woolrich) Passy (72028). Commissioned P/O 16th November 1937. Promoted F/O 16th May 1939. Promoted F/Lt 24th March 1941. S/Ldr DFC 2nd June 1944. Mentioned in Dispatches, notified in LG 8th June 1945 while ranked as Acting Wing Commander. Granted permanent rank of Squadron Leader, OBE DFC, 1st September 1945. He flew with 605, 96, 46 and 89 Squadron’s. He is also noted as evading capture after crash landing in Belgium on 19th October 1943 with 138 Squadron and evading through the Pyrenees with the ‘Comete line’. See following link:
    http://www.cometeline.org/fiche214.html

DFC citation reads:
    Cyril Wolrich Passy, 89 Sqn.
    In Operations in North Africa, this officer has performed much excellent work which has been reflected in the successes obtained by the flight, which he has so skilfully led. Twenty enemy aircraft have been destroyed at night, three of them by Sqn Leader Passy. He has set a most inspiring example.

Hope it's of interest.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Many many thanks to both of you, Ross and Tom.
    Brian will be interested in the details, and has vivid memories of both aircraft which crashed on his farm.
    Dave