Thread: Question: Sqn Ldr Lance E Smith, 607 Sqn?

Thanks

Default Question: Sqn Ldr Lance E Smith, 607 Sqn?

Hi all

A quick question: can anyone tell me what the 'E' stands for in his middle name?

Regards

Simon

EDIT - found out that his full name is Launcelot Eustace Smith, thanks to Robert Dixon's excellent '607 Squadron - a Shade of Blue'. So, he's related to Lt. Ralph Eustace Smith, KIA in an FE2b in 1918...cousins perhaps?
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 5th September 2010 at 16:38.

Thanks

Default Family Smith

Hi Simon,
    Yes, E is for Eustace. I can't say if he was related to Ralph Eustace Smith or not, though there may be a probability.
    Ralph Eustace appears on the war memorial at Heddon-on-the-Wall, he may have lived there. His father was Eustace Smith who lived at Blenkinsopp Hall quite a few miles to the west. The CWGC gives his rank as Captain and that he came from the Northumberland Hussars.
    An easy way to find out is check the 1891 and 1901 census, my free times out and I'm not in the library until next week. His father was Eustace and his mother was Gertrude he also had a wife, Florence Muriel nee Joicey, all seemingly lived at Blenkinsopp Hall. Should be straight forward.
    Launcelot E and his family, including uncle, came from Corbridge and Hexham areas, roughly midway between Heddon and Blenkinsopp.
    Portrait, Ralph Eustace Smith aged 5
    http://www.andersonandgarland.com/BidCat/detail2.asp?SaleRef=MH172&LotRef=25

Best Wishes.
    Robert.
    Last edited by northeagle; 6th September 2010 at 15:05.

Thanks

Hello again Robert

Thought you may have some info!

There's a short obituary of Ralph Eustace Smith in the May 9th 1918 issue of Flight, and it says his father was Eustace Smith, and that Ralph was, like Launce, a grandson of Thomas Eustace Smith, the MP. That must make them cousins.

There's a memorial screen to the WW1 service of the Eustace-Smith family in the church here in Whalton, which is what piqued my interest:

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=9269

regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi!

Stumbled across this thread by chance as I am researching my family history and Launcelot Eustace Smith was actually my third cousin 2x removed.

I felt so proud when I found out Launcelot's story - even had a couple of tears thinking he died for his country, but at least he shot down a few BF109's!

Would like to hear from anyone if you think that you are related to him - my email is jenburd@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Jenny Smith

Thanks

Hi Jenny

I'm not related, but I did drop you an e-mail a few days back.

Regards

Simon