Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACW Inger Frith (265733), woman meteorological officer, Middle East

Thanks

Default ACW Inger Frith (265733), woman meteorological officer, Middle East

Inger Frith (née Pragholm) is one if the Danish women who volunteer for British service during the war.

Volunteering in Cape Town, South Africa, in 1941, she is selected for meteorological duties and attached to a Royal Air Force Coastal Command Training School. In December 1942 the Recruiting Office, Danish Nationals, has her address as: W.A.A.F. Camp, Rand Airport, Germinston, Transvaal, South Africa; and her rank and number: as Aircraftwoman (265733).

According to her own information, she is commissioned, eventually promoted to Captain and one of the first female meteorological officers; and the only woman doing "operational forecasting" in the Middle East.

She is married to Squadron Leader, Dr. Ronald Frith (132287) while in Egypt. In 1951 she is commissioned as Flying Officer, W.R.A.F.V.R. in the Meteorological Branch. I suppose the is identical to the Inger Frith who is the president of Fédération lnternationale
    de Tir à I’Arc from 1961-1977.

Does anyone has ideas on how to get further than these information, in my search for information on her?

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Last edited by Mikkel Plannthin; 5th September 2010 at 16:48.
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel,
    Ronald Frith was around in UK Met O when I joined. Never met wife (us Lower Orders did not normally consort with the Upper Orders (or their wives!) in them days!!). Her last known address (from the archery website) of Ardwell Close, Crowthorne, Berkshire, suggests the two ladies are one and the same - Crowthorne was the rather up-market dormitory area for senior officers from Met O HQ when it was at Bracknell.
    Her alleged Enlistment number does not seem right. 265733 was issued to Civilians joining the RAF in Jun/Jul 1918. I suspect that it may be a S African WAAF number. Likewise her Commissioning might well be S African - as is the rank (Capt) she is said to have attained. The RSA Defence Forces have an archive section. I last used it about 5 yrs ago and they were very helpful - but I have no knowledge if they still are. Her Commissioning and Relinquishment (1951-1956) in WRAFVR (Met Branch) comes up in the LG - but nothing else (that I can find!!).
    They must both have died by now but I can't find any trace in the England & Wales records.
    I have emailed Lyffe(Brian) but have not yet had any reply. He may be on leave!
    We are, however "on the case".
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter
    Excellent! Regarding her death I have

Name: Inger Kristine Frith
    Birth Date: 23 Jan 1909
    Death Registration Month/Year: 1981
    Registration district: Reading & Wokingham
    Inferred County: Berkshire
    Volume: 19
    Page: 0493

Again: most likely one and the same, but I cannot be absolutely sure.

Regarding the service number it origins from a list of adresses used for invitations for the 1942 christmas reception at the Danish legation. I find it probable that it is a S African WAAF number.

Regarding the Captain rank, I was suspicious myself, as this rank did no fit into the WAAF ranks that I was able to find.

I will try the RSA Defence Forces archive section, as you suggest.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

There is a death registered for a Inger Kristine Frith in Berkshire in 1981. I don't have any credits for the site to get more details.

A

EDIT: pipped to the post by Mikkel lol
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Mikkel,
    Another rather strange fact has emerged about our Inger Kristine Frith (nee Pragholm). We know she is Commissioned into the WRAFVR Met Branch in 1951 (source LG).
    She would have been 42 years old at that time!!!!! Obviously keen on archery (if it's the same person!). What was happening in 1951? Was the Cold War starting to be apparent? This Commission in the WRAFVR (Met Branch) would not have been a full-time occupation. It would - if the others at the time are any guidance - involved keeping a uniform in the wardrobe, and putting it on for 14 days(?) each year while doing duty in the Met Office on an RAF Station. (Or two lots of 7 days).
    Now I don't want to be sexist, but a significant number of married ladies aged 42 do tend to be involved, inter alia, in the affairs of their children (and, even, grandchildren!!). What is/was going on?
    I can't find any children of Ronald & Inger Frith (but those more expert than I might?!). But there is a Frith on the UK White Pages BT Directory in the Wokingham/Crowthorne area. Might be useful?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

[QUOTE=Resmoroh;53349Was the Cold War starting to be apparent? [/QUOTE]

With the Korean War going on maybe there was need for more staff as the world was on alert that it could escalate, especially with China's ivolvement at the end of 1950. Or maybe staff were required to replace those who had been transferred to SE Asia for duties relating to the war

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 6th September 2010 at 17:03.
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Maybe any children were registered overseas. I had one recently and turned out to be in Karachi. No wonder I couldn't find it in the GRO. If you have Ancestry, try looking for any Firth marriages in the Wokingham area that could tie in.
    Stewart

Thanks

Having grown up in Crowthorne myself - and being the son of a P Met O to boot - I acted on a hunch and may have traced Mr & Mrs Frith's children. Might Ronald Frith still have been RAF Met and on an exchange posting to Australia 1959-61?

Thanks

I do not know. Flight records him heading a new unit within the Met Office from sometime during the year ending on 31 Mar 1960, cf.
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1960/1960%20-%202050.html?search=ronald%20frith&tracked=1

Regards

Mikkel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel Plannthin View Post
    I do not know. Flight records him heading a new unit within the Met Office from sometime during the year ending on 31 Mar 1960, cf.
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1960/1960%20-%202050.html?search=ronald%20frith&tracked=1

Regards

Mikkel
    Hmm, looks unlikely then.

However, I did find a death notice for Inger Frith in The Times i/d Oct 26th 1981. She passed away on October 24th "at home, after a long illness, borne with dignity and courage" and was to be cremated at Easthampstead Park Crematorium on October 30th. A later notice says that there was to be a memorial service at the Parish Church in Crowthorne on December 2nd.

Also, as you may or may not know, she was awarded the OBE in 1971 and the silver medal of the Olympic Order in 1977. I have also found an article about her published in The Times regarding her work for the IAF and IOC. If you PM me your email address I can send you copies of the article and death notice.