Thread: looking for two Spitfires

Thanks

Default looking for two Spitfires

Hello,

As I don't have a copy of "Gifts of war", can someone have a look to identify two Spitfires, both flown by No. 222 Squadron :
    - probably a Mk V, named P/O R. FARHM, and with an additional marking "President War..." underneath the windscreen (port site). This was painted in the 80es or 90es on an airworthy Spitfire, but may be for a very short while, as I don't have any recollection of that.
    - a Mk IX, with a round patch on the port engine cowling, "I'm on my way --- Bizzie !". There seems to be a name under the windscreen, but not sure. captioned as BS361, but this was a PR IV.

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

Joss

The only presentation a/c with 'President' in the title was 'President Roosevelt' W3430 which served with 222 between 14/5/42 until approx the end of the year; coded ZD-C.

'Bizzie 1' formerly 'Turf Club 1' was BS461 coded ZD-B and served with 222 between 19 April 1943 until 15 September.

HTH

DaveW

Thanks

Hello

Thanks Dave for your excellent help.

BS361 is in fact 461, the usual typo. ZD-B in the summer of 1943 was MH434, which still flies to this day, so it looks it was the previous 'B' in the Squadron. Could have been Pat Lardner-Burke's Spitfire, if he wanted to fly an aircraft coded B.

As for the other, I think the original 'name' was P/O FARHM (which doesn't show up in the CWGC), and the that other 'president...' marking may have been added later.

Regards from France

Joss