Thread: FCL Vol 1 Reprinted ... improved?

Thanks

Default FCL Vol 1 Reprinted ... improved?

Up at Kew this week I saw that they were selling a 'new' Volume 1 of FCL.

Given the low regard that the old FCL's seem to have held on this forum, anyone know if it's been updated / corrected and might therefore be worth buying to replace the old copy?

Ian

Thanks

I asked Alex Smart on TOCH about this...

"YES IT HAS BEEN REVISED
    for e g
    1 October 1939
    P/O J.C.M. Hanbury

his name is added.

15 September 1940
    25 Sqn Beaufighter If R2067 Night Patrol. Crashed near Biggin Hill 1820
    P/O H.M.S. Lambert + Aged 21.
    F/O. M.J. Miley + Aged 22.
    LAC UJ. P. Wyatt + Aged 32.

has been added.

There is promis of the other volumes being updated too at a later date"

Thanks

Default FCL Reprint

More expense!

Why on earth can`t publishers print a supliment to all 3 volumes instead of us having to fork out for another 3? PSL `Action Stations` did this and it seemed to work OK. I get fed up of buying reprints to find that only a very small amount has changed from the original.

Just me thinking out loud again! Sorry folks! But does anyone else get that feeling of being `ripped off`.

Regards.
    Dave.

Thanks

I agree on this one Dave. Vol 1 was out of print and I ended up having to pay over the odds for a second hand copy about 10 months ago. At that time I could get no confirmation of a possible reprint. And now I have to fork out more so i don't look a plank when responding to a query :(

A

Thanks

Whilst sympathising, I suggest this could be because such an "Amendments list" would only be of interest to a subset of those who bought the original book - others having died, moved on to other interests, never wanted more than to see grand-dad's name, etc. Whereas a full reprint would attract new customers (perhaps even me!) and be rather more likely to sell elsewhere than a work that did not stand on its own.

Thanks

I note that unlike the original volume the revised edition features in its sub-title the qualifying word 'operational' and runs to 7 pages less (160 v 167). So the series still grossly under reports overall Fighter Command squadron losses by about 50%. Happily, I understand that work by another author is in progress on a series that will rectify this.

Errol

Thanks

My main complaint about FCL, and why I have never bother buying it, is the solely operationaly side of losses it details and since the north of England saw very few operational losses (I can only think of 1 combat loss off the top of my head, though there were a couple of CAP force landings and bail outs) there wasn't much point.

I was down at Kew today and had a quick look through one of the display copies and didn't think it was any better than the original simply because of its narrow focus.

You won't need telling it went back on the shelf.

When a version with non-operational losses from both squadrons and OTUs etc appears then I'll buy it.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/