Thread: Hull RDF

Thanks

Default Hull RDF

Good Morning. Would there be records held at Kew pretaining to Hull Radio listening post that would of picked up SOS transmissions from aircraft in distress? Or any stations monitoring SOS transmissions.

Thanks in advance, Richard

Thanks

It could well have been RAF Patrington ? See here ;

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/p/patrington/index.shtml

If so there should be a TNA file ? There were several Chain Home stations along the east Yorkshire coast and south of Hull on the north Lincolnshire coast . There was a radio track guide station further up the coast near Scarborough . They gave out QDM's , course to steer , which was a course and distance message relayed to lost aircraft looking for a 'fix' . I believe they were called 'Darkie' stations ?

Thanks

Default Hull RDF

Thank You David. A number of 6 Group aircraft were lost returning from across the North Sea with notations in records books of their last known position from radio transmissions. Hopefully a record book for one of these sites well sled more light. It gives me a place to start looking.
    Regards, Richard.

Thanks

Hi

It might be worth asking on the AiX forum too, RAF Patrington / Holmpton is mentioned on there a few times, whether any of the info is what you are looking for is another matter, but it is worth asking!

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/

HTH

Richard

Thanks

I do not think the site being enquired about had anything to do with Patrington or any other radar station. D/F sites were entirely separate and I have never encountered any radar station which had a D/F installation within the site. For security reasons, I would expect the two types of site to be entirely separate anyway.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the specific enquiry, but thought I would post to avoid time being wasted chasing wild geese.
    Last edited by Ian Brown; 9th September 2010 at 18:26. Reason: typo

Thanks

Default Rdf.

Thanks, both for your input. I am not sure if these radio listening posts would of been strictly airforce or combined airforce/navy. I did searches at the PRO, but never came up with anything, besides files dealing with GAF radio transmissions.
    Regards, Richard